Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by Kunda1 »

Exciting news @uwestoehr! I'd like to add a few things if I may:

Translations
We need crowdin translations pushed to master and then we need more eyes on
1. Currently open Translation issues: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-translations/issues
2. Within crowdin we need FreeCAD technically proficient users who speak different languages to address the open issues and reports. The crowdin interface has a way for user to flag and create issues in regards to strings they are translating.

Documentation
It would be great if we had more users working on
Migrating to FreeCAD from Fusion360
Migrating to FreeCAD from OnShape
Checking if wiki preference pages are up to date as mentioned in a previous thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68402
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
user1234
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #6] - FreeCAD 0.20

Post by user1234 »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm I don't see major open bugs. If you see something please create a new ticked and set the milestone 0.20 to check if we have a quick fix.
Not really a bug, since it seems intended, but i think it should be changed like the behavior before, because it is (at least in my opinion) misleading and not standard the way this handled (it was standard before).

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=68010
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=68502

What do you think about that? (no offense!)

btw: Many thanks for your effort to push FreeCAD, and of course to all devs!

Greetings
user1234
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by uwestoehr »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:40 pm We need crowdin translations pushed to master and then we need more eyes on
Yorik did this recently and will do this the next days again.
I also brought this to the developer channels.

For translation issues that require changes to UI files, e.g. when there is not enough space in dialogs, please report these issues also to the main FreeCAD issue tracker.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #6] - FreeCAD 0.20

Post by uwestoehr »

user1234 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:27 pm Not really a bug, since it seems intended, but i think it should be changed like the behavior before, because it is (at least in my opinion) misleading and not standard the way this handled (it was standard before).
The release notes clearly announce the change. This was necessary since with this release FEM got proper multiphysics support and more will come for further releases. Therefore the FEM pipeline need a uniform unit handling, no matter what the display unit is, a pressure, a voltage, a conductivity or whatever.

It is on my ToDo list for a while to add info about the Pipeline and their great capabilities in the Wiki but my spare time is limited and at first the release has to be done.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

minor issue but is it possible to make the release report itself as 0.20.0 and not just 0.20? Makes it more consistent with future point releases IMO (0.20.1 etc)

@looo can the conda builds use the blobfish patches for OCCT too? also, when 0.20 gets released could you upload the source package with version info to the release page? I want to convince the flatpak maintainers to use that instead of the git shallow clone they use now which messes up the version information.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Awesome job @uwestoehr!

Lastest crowdin strings are merged with git commit 1e034cc47f

This is the current translations status:

Code: Select all

33  languages with status > 25%:

pl 100% (57% approved)
eu 92% (6% approved)
es-ES 91% (0% approved)
fr 91% (21% approved)
de 87% (7% approved)
ka 86% (0% approved)
sl 85% (0% approved)
tr 85% (0% approved)
it 80% (2% approved)
hu 78% (75% approved)
hr 75% (0% approved)
pt-BR 75% (1% approved)
uk 70% (0% approved)
en 68% (59% approved)
ja 68% (1% approved)
nl 68% (0% approved)
ca 67% (0% approved)
ru 67% (1% approved)
sv-SE 59% (8% approved)
zh-CN 57% (0% approved)
pt-PT 52% (11% approved)
val-ES 51% (0% approved)
cs 50% (0% approved)
fi 48% (2% approved)
es-AR 47% (0% approved)
ro 47% (0% approved)
gl 42% (10% approved)
el 39% (0% approved)
zh-TW 37% (0% approved)
vi 34% (0% approved)
id 31% (0% approved)
fil 29% (0% approved)
lt 28% (3% approved)
I think we need a big twitter shoutout to translators... @Kunda1 can you? ;)

I'd like to also remind that we have many years-long translation issues, that won't get solved overnight. So I would say let's do as much as we can, but not hinder or delay the release because of them.
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

yorik wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:44 am Awesome job @uwestoehr!

I'd like to also remind that we have many years-long translation issues, that won't get solved overnight. So I would say let's do as much as we can, but not hinder or delay the release because of them.
:mrgreen:

The important thing is that the topic has moved full steam ahead. And it is not pushed under the pillow.

I personally count on the continued support of the development team to smoothly bring the dysfunction with GUI translations to a happy end. :idea:
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:51 am minor issue but is it possible to make the release report itself as 0.20.0 and not just 0.20? Makes it more consistent with future point releases IMO (0.20.1 etc)

@looo can the conda builds use the blobfish patches for OCCT too? also, when 0.20 gets released could you upload the source package with version info to the release page? I want to convince the flatpak maintainers to use that instead of the git shallow clone they use now which messes up the version information.
For sure we can do this. Can you create an issue for the occt-feedstock and post the link to the patches there:
https://github.com/conda-forge/occt-feedstock

Regarding source creation for tags: I think I already answered via GitHub. Anyways the workflow should be:
1. create a tag for the Freecad-repo
2. create a tag for the FreeCAD-Bundle repo

As already said via GitHub it would be nice if we can move the gh-action for the source creation to the main FreeCAD-repo, to further automate the process.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

A cool development happening in this release is that there is more cohesion building between packagers. That gets me excited. Thanks for the work so far @looo (Conda maintainer), @adrianinsaval the new AUR co-maintainer!), @ppd (Snap maintainer along with myself) and all the others.

Onward!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think the delays with the Windows libpack is giving people more time to coordinate stuff :lol: unlike in previous releases were things were kinda rushed wether maintainers are ready or not.
I'm trying to help coordinate and spread info among maintainers to get all the major releases in good shape.