Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kaktus
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by kaktus »

:mrgreen:

it's ALWAYS a team effort that produces the best results.

This is how the Polish group of translators works and you can see the effects. 8-)
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".
marcin86

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by marcin86 »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:40 pm Exciting news @uwestoehr! I'd like to add a few things if I may:

Translations
We need crowdin translations pushed to master and then we need more eyes on
1. Currently open Translation issues: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-translations/issues
2. Within crowdin we need FreeCAD technically proficient users who speak different languages to address the open issues and reports. The crowdin interface has a way for user to flag and create issues in regards to strings they are translating.

Documentation
It would be great if we had more users working on
Migrating to FreeCAD from Fusion360
Migrating to FreeCAD from OnShape
Checking if wiki preference pages are up to date as mentioned in a previous thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68402
What about with:
Migrating to FreeCAD from Inventor
Migrating to FreeCAD from Soldworks
Migrating to FreeCAD from Zw3d,
Migrating to FreeCAD from Catia

It will be nice to write for Inventor guys how to setup ModernUX(4-rows) for typical Inventor-UX and add InventorLoader for .ipt reading. and info that .iam assemblies not working jet. Also some info that step files is fine.
Regarding to Soliworks, Zw3d, Catia - just write on page that they need to use step files.

#sorry - I see now there is Solidworks page:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Migrating_t ... SolidWorks
Attachments
vcxvx.PNG
vcxvx.PNG (178.55 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Last edited by marcin86 on Fri May 27, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

marcin86 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:20 pm What about with:
Migrating to FreeCAD from Inventor
Migrating to FreeCAD from Soldworks
Migrating to FreeCAD from Zw3d,
Migrating to FreeCAD from Catia
Indeed. But we need to go 'one cow at a time' as the saying goes 😁
If you feel inspired...we can coordinate that.

Edit: Now that we have preference packs that may be the way to go from here on out. Since said pref packs can be customized for UI (color schemes) and for UX like shortcuts, toolbar placement, macros, etc..
But this should be discussed in a separate thread in order not to derail this one
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #6] - FreeCAD 0.20

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm (There won't be a an official beta tag in Git, I just called it beta that people use it just for testing, nothing else.)
And now we have this tag ;) :
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... /0.20beta1

Together with @looo we decided that a beta tag would help us for the packaging.
We will now start to provide Conda and LibPack builds for this beta1 tag. This will take some days. I will report here on Monday about the status.

EDIT:
In Order to use OCC 7.6 for Conda, this issue should be fixed: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6407 and this is therefore now in the milestone:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/milestone/2
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

uwe, can you do me a favor and use more technically defined tags ? Like v0.20-alpha v0.20-beta (instead of the loosely defined ones that you've been choosing?)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wmayer
Founder

Re: [feature freeze status report #6] - FreeCAD 0.20

Post by wmayer »

user1234 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:27 pm Not really a bug, since it seems intended, but i think it should be changed like the behavior before, because it is (at least in my opinion) misleading and not standard the way this handled (it was standard before).

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=68010

- the the pipeline graph its visibility depends on its position of in the tree. For example it is invisibility when it is in a Part Container.
This is clearly a bug. Currently an object that takes over another object doesn't handle the front or back nodes.

Fixed with https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6923
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:30 pm uwe, can you do me a favor and use more technically defined tags ? Like v0.20-alpha v0.20-beta (instead of the loosely defined ones that you've been choosing?)
Our tags have the structure "X.Y" for point releases we have "X.Y.Z" so what is wrong with "X.YbetaA"? It has purposely not the second dot, has "beta" in its name and a version number in case we need a beta2.
(However, it is just a tag for us, nothing that has to have a deeper meaning.)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:48 pm I'm trying to help coordinate and spread info among maintainers to get all the major releases in good shape.
Many thanks for you work! It is also great to hear you take care about the AUR repositories.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

could one of you upload the corresponding source package with version info to that release page?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:51 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:30 pm uwe, can you do me a favor and use more technically defined tags ? Like v0.20-alpha v0.20-beta (instead of the loosely defined ones that you've been choosing?)
Our tags have the structure "X.Y" for point releases we have "X.Y.Z" so what is wrong with "X.YbetaA"? It has purposely not the second dot, has "beta" in its name and a version number in case we need a beta2.
(However, it is just a tag for us, nothing that has to have a deeper meaning.)
Screenshot_20220527_121924.png
Screenshot_20220527_121924.png (30.17 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Sorry, I guess i superficially assumed the tag was called 'first beta release' <facepalm>
I was referring to that symbolic title. 0.20beta1 is fine with me. The 'first beta release' IMHO isn't ideal.

Edit: typos