Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by adrianinsaval »

Is PR #3062 still being considered for merge or is it postponed for 0.21? It brings some features in I guess but it also fixes several bugs with expressions so it would be nice to see it merged. Looks like a big PR so I understand if it's left for later.
apeltauer

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by apeltauer »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:51 pm
apeltauer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:57 pm New Libpack will take some time…
What is your timeframe? Can I help you somehow?
You can help me out by building the latest netgen. You can use the current libpack for all the dependencies. I have not figured it out why the included pybind11 does not compile....
If it works with the current libpak, i can provide you a libpak with the lates occ...
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:00 pm You can help me out by building the latest netgen. You can use the current libpack for all the dependencies. I have not figured it out why the included pybind11 does not compile....
If it works with the current libpak, i can provide you a libpak with the lates occ...
Using the current LibPack, pybind11 works for me. I compile the flatmesh target which uses pybind11.

I think for the release a new Netgen is not very important. Nice to have but no musthave.
What I would like to have in a new LibPack is Qt 5.15.3 and OCC 7.6.1. So when you could do this for the Libpack, I am happy for the FC 0.20 release.
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:50 pm
apeltauer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:00 pm You can help me out by building the latest netgen. You can use the current libpack for all the dependencies. I have not figured it out why the included pybind11 does not compile....
Using the current LibPack, pybind11 works for me. I compile the flatmesh target which uses pybind11.

I think for the release a new Netgen is not very important. Nice to have but no musthave.
What I would like to have in a new LibPack is Qt 5.15.3 and OCC 7.6.1. So when you could do this for the Libpack, I am happy for the FC 0.20 release.
You have to compile netgen against the new occ version, i think this is the problem.
The problem is that Pybind11 is used by netgen. It is included in tge repo as 3rd party.
USing Qt you can just replace the current dlls and stuff...
chennes
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #2] - FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon

Post by chennes »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:04 pm By the end of tomorrow, @chennes will merge these 2 PRs and this way change a lot of code:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4556
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6497
These are both done now.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #2] - FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:44 pm These are both done now.
Many thanks!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:52 pm You have to compile netgen against the new occ version, i think this is the problem.
The problem is that Pybind11 is used by netgen. It is included in tge repo as 3rd party.
USing Qt you can just replace the current dlls and stuff...
OK. I have never built Netgen yet.
Can you please publish what you have alright as potentially new LibPack? (Meaning with OCC 7.6.1 etc.) Then I and other developers can take it and try to find a fix to get NetGen compiled.
uwestoehr
Veteran

[feature freeze status report #3] - FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by uwestoehr »

Hi developers.

The last 1.5 weeks the issues with the Help system could be resolved, also some crashes could be identified.

My plan was to release a test build that users who cannot compile can give it a try on their real-life documents. We could this way hopefully find regressions before we make a release.

Unfortunately we are not yet ready for such a test build, mainly because of the lack of a new LibPack. @apeltauer, can you please release what you already have so that we can continue?
As it turned out Qt 5.15.3 fixes some issues FreeCAD users suffered from and OCC 7.6.1 fixes some (at least) crashes with fillets/chamfers. Therefore I would really like to provide a FreeCAD 0.20 test build using these 2 dependencies.

Good news come from @looo, who could fix some build issues with Conda.

----------------------------

From FreeCAD's code I still see these issues as mustfix:

- PD polar pattern:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6584
and
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6641
We have proposed fixes for this that have to be evaluated.

- App::Part Shapes are infinite:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6655

----------------------------
Further ToDo:

- please have a look at all bugs and pending PRs for the 0.20 milestone: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/milestone/2

- a further technical developer meeting. I think our code base is now really ready and thus it is time to to make the final decisions on how to deal with Toponaming for the next release cycle. I sent the core developers a Dudle to find a date.

many thanks and best regards
Uwe
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #3] - FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:37 am - App::Part Shapes are infinite:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6655
As far as TechDraw is concerned, we have a work around for infinite shapes now, so this is no longer a show stopper.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Most of the remaining issues for Path are long-standing or minor issues. We'll make another pass at cleaning them up and retagging for 0.21.

Two pull requests are still being discussed.