Feature freeze is over - FreeCAD 0.20 was released

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [feature freeze status report #2] - FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:55 am I'll take care of this. Given the remaining time, my plan is to go simple by offering 3 options : Use system locale (default, will recover old FC behavior), use selected language locale, use C locale (as a safe fallback).
Sounds good. But I would like to keep "use selected language locale" as default. I mean we acted because of complaints about that the menu language does not correspond to the number language. Those who really like to have another number format than the language can change the option.
I am pretty sure that the vast majority of users need the same number format than the language.
yorik
Founder

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by yorik »

Yes, as a general rule it's always best to keep the default the way it was before, even if it's not the most sound option
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [announcement] FreeCAD 0.20 will be released soon - time for a feature freeze

Post by adrianinsaval »

the previous default was to use system locale but I agree with uwe that use selected language should be the default as I think it's the most intuitive behavior. But I think this is not the place to discuss those details, can the mods move this to an appropriate thread?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

- we need to do something regarding the new locale handling. Despite I personally like it and already benefit from it, we should offer the behavior FC had in the past. That means on a German OS, one could have English menus but use German numbers with comma as separator.
git commit bba7719cd15e755

There is now a combo box with three options and the default is to use the OS locale settings. I used that by default because this option has always been working without problems while for the other two we cannot 100% exclude at the moment that they fail in some cases.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:51 pm now that we're fully on bugfix mode, I would like to ask again for review of https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6542 it's a serious bug IMO
OK, I will have a look...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:34 pm git commit bba7719cd15e755

There is now a combo box with three options and the default is to use the OS locale settings. I used that by default because this option has always been working without problems while for the other two we cannot 100% exclude at the moment that they fail in some cases.
Understandable decision considering we're close to release, may I suggest changing the default as soon as we start the 0.21 (or theoretically 1.0 right?) dev cycle so we get widespread testing.
wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:43 pm OK, I will have a look...
Thanks!
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I have applied @davidosterberg's UI-normalization script, PR 4556. Anyone working on UI files should now make sure they rebase, and also download David's script (or my GUI version) and either add it as a pre-commit script, or run it manually prior to submitting a PR that modifies a UI file.

Also, while I spot-checked the dialogs that I am most familiar with, please double-check dialogs you are familiar with for regressions.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

New Libpack will take some time…
Sorry…
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:34 pm There is now a combo box with three options and the default is to use the OS locale settings.
Many thanks! It works well and I will document it later in the Wiki.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:57 pm New Libpack will take some time…
What is your timeframe? Can I help you somehow?