[To be reworked] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by Kunda1 »

Reminder, please bump me if any new commits are made
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by abdullah »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm Reminder, please bump me if any new commits are made
Duly noted. Thanks. :D
abdullah
Veteran

Re: [Merge Imminent- Test Now!!] Sketcher Tool settings : testers welcome!

Post by abdullah »

I see that no voices are being raised against the tool widget, the new organisation of the toolbar, and the tools proposed here for testing. I am upgrading the status of this to "Imminent merge", which means that if no such voice is raised, it will be merged in the following weeks.

So like in the movies: "if anybody has any reason why this should not be merged, speak now or forever hold your peace" (well, we know that we are not the type of holding our peace...and that is good indeed, but you get my intentions from the catchy slogan).

How do I know if I have any reason?

Test it and give feedback in this forum thread.

What do I test?

DSH Line
DSH Rectangle
DSH Circle
DSH Ellipse
DSH Polygon

These "are" the toolbar buttons that you push to create a line, a rectangle, a circle, an ellipse and a polygon in the Sketcher.

Test that you like where the buttons in the toolbar are now. If you do not. Please provide some reasons why. You may also comment if you like it (and give reasons).

How do I test

If you are using Linux and have a snap installation, follow Kunda1's instructions:
Snap available for testing:
snap install freecad --channel="latest/edge/sketcher-7118-paddle-widget"

To return to stable or edge respectively:
snap refresh freecad --channel=stable
snap refresh freecad --channel=latest/edge
If you can compile Freecad, you can clone this branch:
https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... et_testing

There are no windows builds for testing (to my knowledge). If anybody wants to contribute one, he or she is welcome.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Has anyone compiled this for macOS and can provide a package?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I will have a look, hopefully later today, maybe tomorrow.

I know this is not the place to discuss this...was it the intent to limit the audience? There are folks who aren't actually devs and don't hang here in the dev corner who might want to look, might have concerns, but simply don't frequent the dev sub forums.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:29 am I will have a look, hopefully later today, maybe tomorrow.

I know this is not the place to discuss this...was it the intent to limit the audience? There are folks who aren't actually devs and don't hang here in the dev corner who might want to look, might have concerns, but simply don't frequent the dev sub forums.
If you know of a spot apart from the forum where people are ready to test knowing that things might be broken, we should encorporate that in our use case.

That said, It's probably best to not overload end users with multiple test builds like this or Toponaming stuff. For a sufficiently uninitiated person, the complaint would simply be "this version (without specifying which one) of FC does not work for me any longer". Off this tangent, maybe there could be a form within FC where people can type their feedback and then it's sent to us packaged with enough information.

EDIT: Just realized you might be referring to some other subforums like announcement or open discussion. If that's the case, that might be correct, but this topic does contain some more in-depth discussion than usual.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jnxd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:58 am ...
If you know of a spot apart from the forum where people are ready to test knowing that things might be broken, we should encorporate that in our use case.

That said, It's probably best to not overload end users with multiple test builds like this or Toponaming stuff. For a sufficiently uninitiated person, the complaint would simply be "this version (without specifying which one) of FC does not work for me any longer". Off this tangent, maybe there could be a form within FC where people can type their feedback and then it's sent to us packaged with enough information.

EDIT: Just realized you might be referring to some other subforums like announcement or open discussion. If that's the case, that might be correct, but this topic does contain some more in-depth discussion than usual.
Agreed on all counts.

My point is there are plenty of advanced folks that don't hang out in the dev forums and would be interested in helping vet things like this.

I for one build from git on a daily basis, both 0.21 and 0.21/topo, and there are others who regularly build. But, aren't actually listening to the dev channels.

Maybe there could be a list or something that could be opted into for folks like me. Then that list of @<member> mentions could be dropped in when a thread like this is started.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:31 pm Maybe there could be a list or something that could be opted into for folks like me. Then that list of @<member> mentions could be dropped in when a thread like this is started.
This sounds like a good idea. However, I think this discussion has outstayed it's welcome on this thread.

@Kunda1 do you believe anything like this is possible?
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

A few warings i noticed while compiling:

Code: Select all

/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/App/SketchObject.cpp: In member function ‘int Sketcher::SketchObject::makeChamfers(Part::GeomArcOfCircle*, int)’:
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/App/SketchObject.cpp:2422:27: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different signedness: ‘int’ and ‘std::vector<Base::Vector3<double>, std::allocator<Base::Vector3<double> > >::size_type’ {aka ‘long unsigned int’} [-Wsign-compare]
 2422 |         for (int i = 0; i < listOfPoints.size() - 1; i++) {
      |                         ~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/App/SketchObject.cpp:2445:27: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different signedness: ‘int’ and ‘std::vector<Part::Geometry*>::size_type’ {aka ‘long unsigned int’} [-Wsign-compare]
 2445 |         for (int i = 1; i < newGeometries.size() - 1; i++) { //-1 because last line is not concerned
      |                         ~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/App/SketchObjectPyImp.cpp: In member function ‘PyObject* Sketcher::SketchObjectPy::transferConstraints(PyObject*)’:
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/App/SketchObjectPyImp.cpp:1299:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
 1299 | }
      | ^

In file included from /home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CommandSketcherTools.cpp:80:
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/DrawSketchHandlerPattern.h: In constructor ‘SketcherGui::DrawSketchHandlerPattern::DrawSketchHandlerPattern(std::vector<int>)’:
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/DrawSketchHandlerPattern.h:195:24: warning: ‘SketcherGui::DrawSketchHandlerPattern::angle’ will be initialized after [-Wreorder]
  195 |         double radius, angle, thickness, interCenterDistance;
      |                        ^~~~~
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/DrawSketchHandlerPattern.h:186:13: warning:   ‘int SketcherGui::DrawSketchHandlerPattern::maxNumberOfHex’ [-Wreorder]
  186 |         int maxNumberOfHex;
      |             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/CommandSketcherTools.cpp:80:
/home/user/Programs/FreeCAD_paddle_widget_testing/sourcecode/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/DrawSketchHandlerPattern.h:53:9: warning:   when initialized here [-Wreorder]
   53 |         DrawSketchHandlerPattern(std::vector<int> listOfGeoIds)
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greetings
user1234
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

The only issue i found atm, was while when making splines, there are heavy lags. There is nothing in the report view or in the log. This behavior is not at the master branch.

That the task tab are now pretty long is an other thing. Also this should be optional, for people they do not need it. But nice feature.

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (X-Cinnamon/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29419 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: paddle_widget_testing
Hash: b485cc42663e76f7caca5a0d3aa845ed0c82114e
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.0.1, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Greetings
user1234