[meeting minutes] developer meeting on how to integrate Toponaming

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[meeting minutes] developer meeting on how to integrate Toponaming

Post by uwestoehr »

Dear developers, we had a meeting two days ago on how to proceed with the Toponaming integration and the FreeCAD 1.0 development cycle.

We jointly decided this:
- they day after FC 0.20 has been tagged, its code will be cloned into a new branch in master.
- @realthuder will commit to this branch the first bunch of commits to introduce Toponaming tracking. The expected amount of commits will be in the range of the pending "Toponaming 1" PR.
- after the first step (which will not include the way files are changed), we provide test builds to get feedback from the community if an how the changes affect larger, complex, real-life documents
- if everything goes well, we meet again and set up the next stage etc.. @realthunder decides/proposes what commit will for the second step
- this procedure is repeated until it the Toponaming work is done
- the last step is then to merge the ready toponaming branch to master and then we have FreeCAD 1.0 (the name was decided in a meeting last year)
- also last year we decided that as soon as toponaming is integrated and master is stable we make the next major release since this is the release goal for FreeCAD 1.0.

-----------------
We further spoke about the state of FC 0.20, how the issue tracker is used etc. The outcome of this, is what I already reported here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 83#p588583
user1234
Veteran

Re: [meeting minutes] developer meeting on how to integrate Toponaming

Post by user1234 »

Super!

A few questions:

Will the normal master commits also committed in the Topo branch? It is doubling the work?

I do not expect backwards compatibility to the master, or should i? (for file management and testing)

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Good to hear, but I don't get what we're supposed to test on the first test build, considering what was said of the first PR.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:54 am Good to hear, but I don't get what we're supposed to test on the first test build, considering what was said of the first PR.
I assume that the 2nd PR Is where we're going to see more testing happening.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

user1234 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:21 pm Will the normal master commits also committed in the Topo branch?
Yes, the plan is to regularly rebase the toponaming branch on master. So normal development work should proceed as usual.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:54 am Good to hear, but I don't get what we're supposed to test on the first test build, considering what was said of the first PR.
For the first batch what we really need is for you to open your largest FreeCAD files, examine them for regressions (we expect none), run a full re-compute, resave, and examine the new file size. A lot of data is being added to the files, we expect them to be larger, and we'd like to quantify just how much larger when used for real-world-sized cases.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chennes wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:10 pm Yes, the plan is to regularly rebase the toponaming branch on master. So normal development work should proceed as usual.
Very good! This makes comparing regression much easier. Thanks for working on it devs!

Greetings
user1234
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I note there has been no updates on this thread since April.

Does this mean the "tagging" hasn't happened yet?

Where should users be watching for an announcement or request to check it out?

After all , not every user who may offer to check it out monitor the Developers corner forum.

And, a question, what does "normal development work should proceed as normal" mean? That there is going to be ongoing changes to a non TNP mitigation integrated branch?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am [...] And, a question, what does "normal development work should proceed as normal" mean? That there is going to be ongoing changes to a non TNP mitigation integrated branch?
Everything not related to the toponaming stuff is going into the "normal" master branch and since the toponaming branch is going to be rebased on this master branch on a regular bases, none of the devs have to "wait" for the toponaming branch to be "ready".
chennes wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:10 pm [...] the plan is to regularly rebase the toponaming branch on master. [...]
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

M4x wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:06 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am [...] And, a question, what does "normal development work should proceed as normal" mean? That there is going to be ongoing changes to a non TNP mitigation integrated branch?
Everything not related to the toponaming stuff is going into the "normal" master branch and since the toponaming branch is going to be rebased on this master branch on a regular bases, none of the devs have to "wait" for the toponaming branch to be "ready".
chennes wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:10 pm [...] the plan is to regularly rebase the toponaming branch on master. [...]
Ok, so I needed to put on my git hat to grok the wizard speak, so to say... 8-)

But, (and maybe I need another hat...) what about: "...we provide test builds to get feedback from the community..."
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."