Element widget for Sketcher WB

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Element widget for Sketcher WB

Post by jmaustpc »

abdullah wrote:I have momentarily pushed icon 1, so that you can see how it looks like...
OK, that's fine with me.

I am still thinking about what to suggest for the axes and origin selection icons. I have some ideas but not happy with them yet.

Regarding my other comments on the GUI, I do not hold to my opinion strongly. Your code is now in master so it will appear in the daily PPA so several users will get it soon, (it auto -compiles and update once every 24 hours) it will be interesting to hear some of their comments. Some of the more experienced CAD users (like Norm for example) will have a better idea than I. :-)
abdullah wrote:Right-click on an element consistently selects the element and deselects any previously selected thing (unles Ctrl pressed). This is the default behaviour in any list in my OS (ubuntu). I just checked in the Firefox preferences.
OK, it was an observation, but like you said when the context menu works from the blank area... problem solved. :)

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all
This is what I came up with for the select Horizontal/vertical axes and origin. I used the X and Y for clarity as they are the default Horizontal/vertical axes for a default sketch. They might be too complex and their intent might not be as clear to others. Anyway what do you think?

select Vertical axes
at 16px
Sketcher_SelectVerticalAxis_3_16px.png
Sketcher_SelectVerticalAxis_3_16px.png (662 Bytes) Viewed 2894 times

At 32px
Sketcher_SelectVerticalAxis_3_32px.png
Sketcher_SelectVerticalAxis_3_32px.png (1.26 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

and the svg
Sketcher_SelectVerticalAxis_3.svg
(8.33 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
select Horizontal axes
at 16px
Sketcher_SelectHorizontalAxis_3_16px.png
Sketcher_SelectHorizontalAxis_3_16px.png (648 Bytes) Viewed 2894 times
At 32px
Sketcher_SelectHorizontalAxis_3_32px.png
Sketcher_SelectHorizontalAxis_3_32px.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

and the svg
Sketcher_SelectHorizontalAxis_3.svg
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
select Origin
at 16px
Sketcher_SelectOrigin_3_16px.png
Sketcher_SelectOrigin_3_16px.png (628 Bytes) Viewed 2894 times
At 32px
Sketcher_SelectOrigin_3_32px.png
Sketcher_SelectOrigin_3_32px.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 2894 times

and the svg
Sketcher_SelectOrigin_3.svg
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Dear Jim,

I just added to my branch your beautiful art.

The eyes of the other users will never be able to thank you enough for saving them from my original aberrations.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

jmaustpc wrote:Your code is now in master so it will appear in the daily PPA so several users will get it soon, (it auto -compiles and update once every 24 hours) it will be interesting to hear some of their comments.
I updated from the PPA today and I have it (without the icons of course), I played around a little and can't wait to fully use it in the next few days or so. Thank you guys for working on this!

Word size: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.3828 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: be3299a46db2055d3c6094cc8127965e6245edc2
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.0
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I updated from the PPA today and I have it (without the icons of course), I played around a little and can't wait to fully use it in the next few days or so. Thank you guys for working on this!
I hope it is useful for everybody. Let us know here if you encounter problems during the usage.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I have just requested the merge of my branch: element_widget_fixes_rebased

There are several bug fixes to bugs reported in this thread. Hopefully it will get merged and available tomorrow or the day after in the PPA.

Jim: I changed the "enable/disable" of the droplist, so that when you use the mode "Auto-switch back to edge" it is disabled. But if you use our mode (checkbox unchecked), it becomes enabled and you can choose whether to use "z" or go to the menu to pick the element type you wish.. ;)
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

I haven't fully tested it yet. But i would highly appreciate if you include a meaningful one line summary of the commit
(Instead of "Squash commit of:").
Something like "update to sketcher" is at least more meaningful than "squash commit"
On the other hand i think it would make sense not squash all changes together into one commit.
But to seperate it into seperate one for "bugfixes", "new features", "changes solely changing existing documentation and artwork"
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Abdullah
I'll give it another good look out of master, after this next update. :)

Today Bejant and I found your tool a great help, it showed us that a user had entered two points into the sketch unintentionally and was then unable to get the sketch fully constrained because the two points were not constrained and were hard to spot in the sketch....but obvious to use because they were in your widget's list! :)

This is the topic in question
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7276

You have now given us a good reason to consider 0.14 release as "annoyingly obsolete" already! :D

Jim
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

i tried to split your commit into changes in artwork and code.
git://github.com/5263/FreeCAD.git element_widget_fixes_rebased_2
https://github.com/5263/FreeCAD/compare ... _rebased_2
EDIT: I left out a new file. And had to redo the change.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I haven't fully tested it yet. But i would highly appreciate if you include a meaningful one line summary of the commit
(Instead of "Squash commit of:").
Something like "update to sketcher" is at least more meaningful than "squash commit"
On the other hand i think it would make sense not squash all changes together into one commit.
But to seperate it into seperate one for "bugfixes", "new features", "changes solely changing existing documentation and artwork"
Hi Sebastian!

Well, I was thinking of keeping the git footprint small (rebasing I learnt from you, but I saw that Werner usually squashes all in one).

I will amend the commit message. Then I will create another branch separating the commits as you suggest. Then I will write in the pull request to Werner, give him both branches, explain the situation and ask him to select and merge the one he deems to be the best.

...you posted in the meantime...
Thanks! Is it ok for you if I indicate to Werner to merge from:
[Edited by shoogen] git://github.com/5263/FreeCAD.git element_widget_fixes_rebased_2 ?
Today Bejant and I found your tool a great help, it showed us that a user had entered two points into the sketch unintentionally and was then unable to get the sketch fully constrained because the two points were not constrained and were hard to spot in the sketch....but obvious to use because they were in your widget's list! :)

This is the topic in question
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7276
Thanks a lot for showing me this. It really felt good to see it. I never thought of it as a "debuging" tool.

However, if the tool is useful is also due to all of you who tested it during development and suggested improvements. It is quite far away of my original idea. This community is just great!!