Changed default background color

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Changed default background color

Post by uwestoehr »

I got frequent feedback that FC's default background color is not "nice". The blue is too dark and thus the contrast to black too low at the upper part:
FreeCAD_MDD5CH0nq3.png
FreeCAD_MDD5CH0nq3.png (112.87 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
(the contrast for the upper numbers of the colorbar is indeed low)

Before the 0.20 release I made a survey in the forum and the outcame was that a color gradient as default is preferred to a single color.
Since then I experimented a bit and this is the result:
FreeCAD_YB79IY9Cr6.png
FreeCAD_YB79IY9Cr6.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
The new top color is the former bottom color and the new bottom color is a yellow which was once found out to tire the eyes the least in the long run. After more than 2 weeks with it daily for several hours for real-life work, it works well as it should - better contrast and not tiring for the eyes.

For some cases I think things just have to be done do avoid endless discussions before people really gave it a try 8-) . In this case just a quick look is not enough, one has to work with it to judge it.
Since I am sometimes a reluctant guy, I put it in before I left for vacation. I hope this assures that it stays for a while for a real judgement.
I am aware that many users set their own background anyway, so the change is therefore mainly thought for new users as offer.

I am now most probably off from any development PC for 3 weeks :D .
Jolbas

Re: Changed default background color

Post by Jolbas »

I think it's better. A bit closer to sun rise.
sky.png
sky.png (202.18 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please give a link to the survey. If I remember correctly, there was only a very small number for the grey/yellow set. You could offer this as a preference pack though.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Poll from June 2022: Should FreeCAD have by default a simple color or a color gradient?

There's not a small number voting for other gradient.
And except them, 40% voted for a lighter color.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

should the task view gradient default colors be changed to match? Personally I think it would be better with no gradient at all there, it's one of those things that make FreeCAD "look outdated" (it's a pre XP coloring trend).

I will add that the new default background does indeed look better IMO.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-22 222746.png
Screenshot 2022-08-22 222746.png (51.34 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:30 am should the task view gradient default colors be changed to match? Personally I think it would be better with no gradient at all there, it's one of those things that make FreeCAD "look outdated" (it's a pre XP coloring trend).
I agree that the taskpanel background color should be changed too for the reasons you mentioned (got this also as feedback from new users. However, they never fit with the main background color gradient, therefore I think we are more free hereby. I will have a look when I am back.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I just had a few newcomers and wondered why they were complaining that things are hardly visible. Looking at their screens I saw the reason. This is a screenshot with the new color scheme from Sketcher during creation of a rectangle. I hope you can see on different monitors what I see: At the bottom the lines are almost not visible at all.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-24 um 23.47.06.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-24 um 23.47.06.png (89.64 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
The old scheme may be old fashioned or whatever, but it works. A new background color should be done with a complete color overhaul.

@wmayer, can you roll this back please? Uwe seems to be on vacation for some time.
@uwestoehr, please provide your next try as a preference pack.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:51 pm
@wmayer, can you roll this back please? Uwe seems to be on vacation for some time.
@uwestoehr, please provide your next try as a preference pack.

That's exactly what I tried to avoid. Endless discussions and playing pingpong.
Our default in FC 0.20 is obviously not good and I want to improve it. I did this using 2 newbies as testers. And we started learning Sketcher. I got no complaints because the lines you draw are clearly visible. And of course I would not propose something that would hinder people from using basic features like sketcher.

What I really don't like is to find arguments against a change without making a better proposal. And leaving it as it is , is obviously not progress. Therefore please don't just request a reversion.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I am currently using the following gradient and I find it easy on the eyes as well as effective for conveying a sense of depth. (Side Note: I still believe implementing Ambient Occlusion to the phong shading would also offer an added visual perception benefit. This is different from realthunder's shadow mode)

First - #A1ACBD
Second - #D8DEE9

Then changing the default color for "Unconstrained Edge" to #00000 should remedy most if not all visibility complaints against the lighter gradient.

In addition, I think if we are visiting some display defaults, I suggest the following changes for consideration:
Preferences > Part Design > Shape Appearance > Line Width > 1.0
Preferences > Part Design > Shape Appearance > Vertex Size > 2px
Preferences > Sketcher > Display > View Scale Ratio > 0.6
Preferences > Sketcher > Display > Font Size > 15px (or 16px)
Preferences > Sketcher > Display > Segments Per Geometry > 70
Enable anti-aliasing by default, any PC from the last 20 years should be capable of handling this with negligible impact on performance.

In my opinion, these settings are easier on the eyes and present a more refined visual appearance, and while theoretically cosmetic only in nature may deter some of the general "FreeCAD is an ugly mess" mindset we see so often.

If desired, I can propose some additional tweaks to the sketcher colors, although the defaults are mostly quite good already. I generally tend to favor slightly de-saturated colors with good contrast.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:19 am What I really don't like is to find arguments against a change without making a better proposal. And leaving it as it is , is obviously not progress. Therefore please don't just request a reversion.
you can try my 2 preferred colors: #7bacd9 and #67cab0:

try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here