Sketcher: Ellipse support

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Sketcher: Ellipse support

Post by abdullah »

Any of you may know why I can not see the icons of the sub-items of the the toolbar?
ellipse49.png
ellipse49.png (13.59 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah wrote:I will prepare the pull request soon...
HURRAH!! 8-) :P
abdullah wrote:Any of you may know why I can not see the icons of the sub-items of the the toolbar?
No idea. In my latest compile (which was 14 october, ancient!!) the icons are fine.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

DeepSOIC wrote:No idea. In my latest compile (which was 14 october, ancient!!) the icons are fine.
I think it is not related with the code or even the compilation flags. That screenshot is from the regular freecad PPA, not from my branch. Maybe is some setting I have in my Ubuntu system. The problem is that I have to evaluate if the icons is ok without being able to see it :lol:

oh well, someone of you will help me out here!!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

abdullah wrote:Any of you may know why I can not see the icons of the sub-items of the the toolbar?
ellipse49.png
Hi Abdullah
Its because you must be running standard Ubuntu (not Kubuntu or other) and standard Ubuntu hides icons in menus I believe ....I think it was Norm who posted that they had found a setting in the operating system settings somewhere, to make them come back. :)
abdullah wrote:@Jim
Please Jim, could you create another icon like the ones of your last post, showing an arc of ellipse with my construction method?
OK,
abdullah wrote:BTW if you are aware of any bug/problem now it is the time to say it... ;)
which branch should we be doing final pre-pull request testing in?

Jim
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

jmaustpc wrote:

ellipse49.png

Hi Abdullah
Its because you must be running standard Ubuntu (not Kubuntu or other) and standard Ubuntu hides icons in menus I believe ....I think it was Norm who posted that they had found a setting in the operating system settings somewhere, to make them come back. :)
With dconf-editor, in org/desktop/interface there is two options buttons-have-icons and menus-have-icons. But in my case there is no effect :( I still don't have icons (same as abdullah).
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

rockn wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:

ellipse49.png

Hi Abdullah
With dconf-editor, in org/desktop/interface there is two options buttons-have-icons and menus-have-icons. But in my case there is no effect :( I still don't have icons (same as abdullah).
I think the problem might just be that you have to log out and back in again for the change to take effect?

I found this link for Ubuntu 14.04
http://askubuntu.com/questions/464146/h ... untu-14-04
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

jmaustpc wrote:I think the problem might just be that you have to log out and back in again for the change to take effect?
I have :(
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Thanks guys!! I tried with no success.

Let me know if you find some missing icon.

This is the latest test/development branch:

https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... master.git
3e57fa4..b1b3673 skt2_marktaff_creation

Please do any testing there. Give positive/negative feedback here.

Now missing before pull request:
1) Icon by Jim
2) Testing
3) Squashing and commit splits for art by Jim
4) Rebasing on master

When you give me the "go" for 1 and 2, I do 3 and 4 (playing with git, or as tanderson says gitting against the wall :lol: :lol: )

We are almost there!!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

rockn wrote: dconf-editor,
According to Yorik (it worked for Werner), you have to use gconf, not dconf.

I found the linke tio the old topic I was thinking about, its here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7339&start=10#p59825
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

abdullah wrote:Hi folks!!

I am still in a peak of work from my job, but I am willing to prepare the pull request for the ellipse support.

Due to the rather long silence I take a design decision and I take full responsibility for it. The pull request for ellipse will have two construction methods for ellipse and at least one for elliptical arcs. All will be under a single UI icon "conics". Hyperbola and Parabola will be added under that icon later...

@Jim
Please Jim, could you create another icon like the ones of your last post, showing an arc of ellipse with my construction method?

I will prepare the pull request soon...
Since we already use drop downs for this in sketcher for other geometry like circle then I am wrong.

The only question that leaves is should the conics drop down show just the default most common geometry initially and move the last used to the top in the same way as the other grouped drop down icons work? presumably, yes. Or should should there be a conics icon to click on to get to the list, thus always forcing two clicks, presumably not.