Drawing dimensioning workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
hamish

Re: Drawing dimensioning workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Postby hamish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:06 am

Hi Everyone, a new version of the drawing dimension wb is ready:
[*] the selection system has been revamped
[*] angular dimensions have been added
[*] the git readme has been updated to include more detail such as installation instructions, and the wb's limitations

https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning
Attachments
dimensioning_upgrade.png
dimensioning_upgrade.png (67.61 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
quick61

Postby quick61 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:22 am

Hi hamish, looking better all the time. i was using it the other day and found something that was kind of missing, though it's esdy enough to just make a note of or do it in Draft, but, (and I mentioned this before in different context), there was no way to dimension the radius of Fillets or Arcs. I think that is one thing that will end up being missed. Still, very nice job and very usable. Thanks!

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
rockn

Postby rockn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:02 am

So nice ! Thank you hamish !
Formations et tutoriels FreeCAD en Français, soutenez moi : https://www.tipeee.com/formations-freecad
cblt2l

Postby cblt2l » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:32 am

hamish, thanks a lot for creating this workbench. The lack of dimension capabilities has been a show-stopper for me using freecad for any kind of freelance work. Overall it seems to be working good for me on newer freecad build.

I did make one modification. Sometimes I like/need to dimension to a quadrant of a circle, so I added a few lines to take care of that.

Thanks again. :D
freecad-drawing-dim-quad.png
freecad-drawing-dim-quad.png (150.37 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:34 pm

I very much welcome this contribution.
quick61 wrote: For those keeping track, we have the following plugin workbenches.
  • Bolts
  • EaglePCB_2_FreeCAD
  • Gears
  • FreeCAD-CuraEngine
  • Animation
  • Drawing Dimensioning
Did I miss any?
You miss assembly 2?

I do miss another plugin, a plugin that when installed, it lists all those plugins and allows you to select and install them.
quick61

Postby quick61 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 pm

abdullah wrote:I very much welcome this contribution.
quick61 wrote: For those keeping track, we have the following plugin workbenches.
  • Bolts
  • EaglePCB_2_FreeCAD
  • Gears
  • FreeCAD-CuraEngine
  • Animation
  • Drawing Dimensioning
Did I miss any?
You miss assembly 2?

I do miss another plugin, a plugin that when installed, it lists all those plugins and allows you to select and install them.
Assembly 2 hadn't been brought forward when I posted that. ;)

But yea, maybe not a plugin, but a feature in FreeCAD that would allow the user to pick and chose which plugins they wanted to download and install. That would require someone maintaining an "official" github account for contributed plugins, but it might be worth the effort. Don't think any plugin should be judged on its usefulness or practicality, but only on whether or not it works as intended, and does not crash FreeCAD and cause a user to lose data.

The feature should work like the DXF importer does now. First time use gets a warning about connecting and downloading from the internet and gives the user a chance to opt out.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:16 am

Hello hamish,
hamish wrote:the selection system has been revamped
It works even better than before, nice job! :)

If you accept feature requests, I'd like to see cblt2l's addition merged, and diagonal dimensions.

But no pressure! :D

Has someone tried this with the stable release 0.14.370x? I wonder if it works, I need to compile the stable release to test this.
rockn

Postby rockn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 am

normandc wrote:Has someone tried this with the stable release 0.14.370x? I wonder if it works, I need to compile the stable release to test this.
I get this :

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'addTextDimensioning' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jo/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/addText.py", line 64, in Activated
    V = getDrawingPageGUIVars() #needs to be done before dialog show, else Qt active is dialog and not freecads
  File "/home/jo/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/dimensioning.py", line 47, in getDrawingPageGUIVars
    if 'A3' in os.path.basename( page.Template ):

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Template'
@hamish : there is some problems with ViewObject created and send to Drawing page by Draft_Drawing.

Running the Python command 'linearDimension' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jo/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/linearDimension.py", line 65, in Activated
    maskBrush = maskBrush
  File "/home/jo/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/selectionOverlay.py", line 152, in generateSelectionGraphicsItems
    raise RuntimeError, 'unable to parse path "%s" with d parms %s' % (element.XML[element.pStart: element.pEnd], parms)

unable to parse path "<path id="Box" d="M 0.0 0.0 L 0.0 0.0 L 0.0 10.0 L 0.0 10.0 L 0.0 0.0 Z " stroke="#191919" stroke-width="0.35 px" style="stroke-width:0.35;stroke-miterlimit:4;stroke-dasharray:none;fill:#cccccc;fill-rule: evenodd "/>" with d parms [u'M', u'0.0', u'0.0', u'L', u'0.0', u'0.0', u'L', u'0.0', u'10.0', u'L', u'0.0', u'10.0', u'L', u'0.0', u'0.0', u'Z']point1 set to x=17.0 y=28.0
point2 set to x=17.0 y=18.0
/home/jo/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/dimensionSvgConstructor.py:54: RuntimeWarning: divide by zero encountered in double_scalars
  textRotation = numpy.arctan( (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1))  / numpy.pi * 180
point3 set to x=44.0 y=31.5
creating dimension dim001

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4237 (Git)
Branch: arch-roof
Hash: 09622607f98bd2b09751997a8e41e1455ddf1ce1
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
Formations et tutoriels FreeCAD en Français, soutenez moi : https://www.tipeee.com/formations-freecad
hamish

Postby hamish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Everyone, I have patched the linearDimensionError mentioned above.
For future errors, may I ask that they are reported on the drawing dimensioning wb github page?
Please goto https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... ing/issues , that github page is specifically designed for that kind of stuff (including feature requests!).

Thanks!
rockn

Postby rockn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:14 pm

No problemo ;)