Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Post by DeepSOIC »

sterna wrote:I'm getting the message that "A part can only be imported from a FreeCAD document with excactly one visible part".
Assembly2 is not aware of the new complex visibility behavior. So, to use your 0.17 document in Assembly2, you should set everything invisible except for the actual final object (usually, a body).
1. View->Visibility->hide all objects
2. select Body, hit spacebar. Note: you won't see the object on screen, because Part remains hidden.
3. Save document, and import it to assembly.

I guess, Assembly2 can be made to support all that Part and Body stuff, but extensive support will probably require quite a serious coding effort. Trivial support, such as patching for visibility logic, should be easy enough.
hiddenengine

Post by hiddenengine »

Having looked at the Assembly 2 workbench videos, I *really* like how it works. What is especially nice is how you can refresh the parts if they have been modified. I'm not so keen on the "export as simple part then import" approach taken with the mainline "Assembly" workbench (unless I've missed something).

Are the changes between 0.16 and 0.17 really that big and is this why Hamish has dropped support for Assembly 2?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

hiddenengine wrote:Are the changes between 0.16 and 0.17 really that big and is this why Hamish has dropped support for Assembly 2?
See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16591
hiddenengine

Post by hiddenengine »

Hi DeepSOIC,
Thanks for the link - it makes interesting reading... and thanks for your work in keeping Assembly 2 alive through 0.17.
I'm on v0.16 at the moment so I'm going to start using Assembly 2 on that. If it works as well as I hope, I may be able to offer some help for the port to v0.17 if you want it.
josheeg

Post by josheeg »

:D I like how assembly two I got to install with a plugin package manager now I have a application I would like to try it. Dragonplate.com has carbon fiber tube and tube connectors. There in step and another format so I hope I can import them into freecad and assemble my uav frame and try the fem analisis plugin on it. :ugeek:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looks like a fun project and it sounds doable with FreeCAD. Good luck!

P.S. Assembly 3 is another option you can try out.