Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Post by triplus »

elgambitero wrote:That matter has me worried. The last commit to the GitHub repo is one year old.
Actually that isn't correct. Last code commit was done this month.
Is anyone interested in further development of this workbench? Because us folks at Makespace Madrid would like to use this to make big projects.

I'm using it for every multipart repo, and for that matter I want to contribute but, there's no repo to Pull Request to!
I doubt the author would come back to accept it. And that's sad.
Try it out and see what will happen. AFAIK @hamish asked for help and if you look at the issue tracker some issues have tag attached "help wanted".
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ickby wrote:
elgambitero wrote:and for that matter I want to contribute but, there's no repo to Pull Request to!
I doubt the author would come back to accept it. And that's sad.
Just fork it, that is the real power of git.
Hamish has been very proactive and approachable, why do you think he would not accept an acceptable patch? As ickby said you can of course always Fork.

ickby wrote:
elgambitero wrote: I consider this a feature that FreeCAD must have. how far does this project need to go for it to be included by default?
It never will be included. It is a highly appreciated workbench for sure and does assemblies very well in a time where freecad does not support this in any way. However, as FreeCAD does not really support assembly stuff at all right now the workbench is a hack in many regards. We are on the route to change that, but this means a revised object structure in FreeCAD and than an deeply integrated own assembly workbench. One day far ahead at least :)
Also Hamish picked an incompatible license, GPL3, so his work could never become part of FreeCAD even if it was a good idea from a technical perspective, unless of course he changed the license.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Why exactly was my post deleted?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

jmaustpc wrote:Also Hamish picked an incompatible license, GPL3, so his work could never become part of FreeCAD even if it was a good idea from a technical perspective, unless of course he changed the license.
This claim isn't correct and therefore it should be corrected. Hamish picked compatible licence but it is true the licence Hamish picked isn't compatible with current FreeCAD licence policy.

I feel this is important piece of information and misinformation therefore shouldn't be spread as there is no reason we should do that.
cox

Post by cox »

triplus wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:Also Hamish picked an incompatible license, GPL3, so his work could never become part of FreeCAD even if it was a good idea from a technical perspective, unless of course he changed the license.
This claim isn't correct and therefore it should be corrected. Hamish picked compatible licence but it is true the licence Hamish picked isn't compatible with current FreeCAD licence policy.

I feel this is important piece of information and misinformation therefore shouldn't be spread as there is no reason we should do that.
+1
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote:

You want important information to be known, how about giving all of it.

It has been clearly stated many times by the main developers, and the last time not so long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14999#p119369
wmayer wrote:Legally it would be possible to link also GPLv3 code because according to FSF [4] linking LGPLv2 and GPLv3 is possible, only GPLv2only and GPLv3 is not possible. But linking with GPLv3 is only possible when using the new re-licensed Coin3d version. Since some Linux distributions still offer the old GPLv2only version of Coin3d IMO it actually is still problematic to link GPLv3 libraries.

Furthermore, the aim of FreeCAD is also to be used by companies and allow them to link their proprietary code and thus GPL is not allowed in FreeCAD.
Jurgën Riegel, the project founder, was also pretty clear about it in the past. This fact will likely not change for the reason stated above.

So there is absolutely no point on insisting the licenses are compatible and accusing others of misinformation. Your splitting hairs only confuses users who are not aware of FreeCAD licensing's history.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote:You want important information to be known, how about giving all of it.
Yes this was explained on multiple occasions in the past and therefore it makes no sense to not give the whole information. I gave all the needed and sensible information by saying the licence Hamish uses for Assembly 2 module is compatible with current FreeCAD licence and it isn't compatible with current FreeCAD code submission licence policy.

P.S. If anything isn't correct in this statement feel free to correct me.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Hi, I've added a pull request for assembly2
https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_a ... 2/pull/107
to add ability to preserve colors when importing STEP or IGES
(added ability to preserve colors when importing STEP or IGES parts:
- color from shapes
- colors from faces in case of i.e. fused objects or face colored parts
)
the changes are very small in a single file "importPart.py"
assembly2-colored-parts.png
assembly2-colored-parts.png (107.66 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
EDIT this pull has been merged :D
Maurice
Last edited by easyw-fc on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sterna

Post by sterna »

Is it only for me that Assembly 2 does not work anymore in 0.17? Since Freecad changed how parts from PartDesign are handled (with that whole Body thing), it seems that it's not possible to import any new parts created in PartDesign. I'm getting the message that "A part can only be imported from a FreeCAD document with excactly one visible part".

I'm using the latest version of Assembly2 (just pulled it from Github) and the following version of Freecad:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7438 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from 6b4821a)
Hash: 6b4821a8552fc2a4459feb1d3202acbc3db8e17d
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

If you may post an example file in FC I could check in win if the problem exists...