shadows in the freecad viewport

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
pablogil

Re: shadows in the freecad viewport

Postby pablogil » Wed May 20, 2020 1:37 pm

realthunder wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:28 pm
You can change the ground color to match the background, or increase the ground scale so that the edge won't show easily when you zoom out.
I have already tried it but depending on the position of the camera the ground turns darker or brighter...
Increasing the ground scale reduces the ground edges with the background blending but it doesn't fix the darkering or brightening...
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Image updated. They are released without my Coin3D patch. Can you guys please try the new ground texture and bump map (see the document property), and report back if it is working? I am not sure the problem I have is because of my graphics driver or not. I got my texture and bump map (height or normal map) from here. On my computer, without the patch, bump map has no effect.

pablogil wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:37 pm
I have already tried it but depending on the position of the camera the ground turns darker or brighter...
Increasing the ground scale reduces the ground edges with the background blending but it doesn't fix the darkering or brightening...
I'll try later.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
pablogil

Postby pablogil » Wed May 20, 2020 1:56 pm

realthunder wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Image updated. They are released without my Coin3D patch. Can you guys please try the new ground texture and bump map (see the document property), and report back if it is working? I am not sure the problem I have is because of my graphics driver or not. I got my texture and bump map (height or normal map) from here. On my computer, without the patch, bump map has no effect.
The bumpmap doesn't work for me either. When adding the _height or _normal file the result turns darker and flickers if I move the camera but the illumination effect doesn't work.
no_bumpmap.jpg
no_bumpmap.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 504 times
pablogil

Postby pablogil » Wed May 20, 2020 2:08 pm

I have just found another lighting issue: depending on the camera point of view, not only the ground surface is shadowed differently, but the shadow itself too:
1.jpg
1.jpg (236.71 KiB) Viewed 497 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (263.93 KiB) Viewed 497 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (244.81 KiB) Viewed 497 times
From a top view the shadow even dissapears...
OficineRobotica

Postby OficineRobotica » Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm

Ok....I'm convinced Santa comes in may this year lol.

These are my results
bumpMap.jpeg
bumpMap.jpeg (464.07 KiB) Viewed 470 times
bumpMap1.jpeg
bumpMap1.jpeg (380.5 KiB) Viewed 470 times
bumpMap2.jpeg
bumpMap2.jpeg (391.76 KiB) Viewed 463 times
wood_parquet_texture.jpg
wood_parquet_texture.jpg (132.53 KiB) Viewed 463 times
wood_floor_parquet_NORMAL.jpg
wood_floor_parquet_NORMAL.jpg (162.86 KiB) Viewed 463 times
But there is something plain about the image. they dont seem to really work as bump.
When applying the bump map there is a visual change in the viewport. I tried making a gif but for some reason they are huge in size even at 720p.

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 23
model           : 17
model name      : AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
stepping        : 0
microcode       : 0x8101007
cpu MHz         : 1469.658
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb hw_pstate sme ssbd sev ibpb vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 rdseed adx smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves clzero irperf xsaveerptr arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif overflow_recov succor smca
bugs            : sysret_ss_attrs null_seg spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
bogomips        : 3992.73
TLB size        : 2560 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm hwpstate eff_freq_ro [13] [14]

processor       : 1
cpu MHz         : 1550.043
core id         : 0
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb hw_pstate sme ssbd sev ibpb vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 rdseed adx smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves clzero irperf xsaveerptr arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif overflow_recov succor smca
bugs            : sysret_ss_attrs null_seg spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass

processor       : 2
cpu MHz         : 1424.237
core id         : 1
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2

processor       : 3
cpu MHz         : 1414.924
core id         : 1
apicid          : 3
initial apicid  : 3

processor       : 4
cpu MHz         : 1419.071
core id         : 2
apicid          : 4
initial apicid  : 4

processor       : 5
cpu MHz         : 1414.265
core id         : 2
apicid          : 5
initial apicid  : 5

processor       : 6
cpu MHz         : 1459.360
core id         : 3
apicid          : 6
initial apicid  : 6

processor       : 7
cpu MHz         : 1368.141
core id         : 3
apicid          : 7
initial apicid  : 7
I still have to test on a gtx1050 and see how it works.

From my experimenting it seems that png images with transparency don't work .....I tried to cheat the system and aplly a alpha chanel grid to the ground.

I don't know if you were aware of this but I'll link it anyway. I hope it helps and give you a head start.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38223

From my limited understanding the Arch Texture Addon levreges the same coin3d calls as your implementation. Textures with alpha channel work with the addon if using trunk freecad. Testing the addon with your fork doesn't work anymore.

phpBB [video]

P.S. Can I whisper something hoping to not ask too much? Fast/fake ambient occlusion for the models. Imagine complex assemblies .....just awsome. I know that you are doing the work of a whole team of developers at the moment but if you just put it on your radar for the future I'm already a happy man.
realthunder wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:43 am
How about this, texture with bump map. I spent great effort to make this work, because Coin3D has trouble showing bump mapped surface that also receives shadow from other objects. I need to patch Coin3D to make it work. It still has a few glitches, but at least working to some extent. I think it is a proof of concept that we can have those realistic looking materials shown in those commercial CAD.
I tried fusion360 and solidworks on windows but the crisp text of freecad/qt combo and the quality of shadows especccially when using spot light that I get from your branch are light years ahead of them. By the way ....shadows from a spot light are much better respect of the default ones. It is just a bit dificult to control direction and position.
OficineRobotica

Postby OficineRobotica » Thu May 21, 2020 6:12 am

Sorry .....for some reason i linked the CPU info instead of the GPU.

This is my laptop GPU

lspci  -v -s  $(lspci | grep ' VGA ' | cut -d" " -f 1)

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c4) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile]
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
        I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
        Memory at e0600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [64] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/4 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=3 Masked-
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
        Capabilities: [200] #15
        Capabilities: [270] #19
        Capabilities: [2b0] Address Translation Service (ATS)
        Capabilities: [2c0] Page Request Interface (PRI)
        Capabilities: [2d0] Process Address Space ID (PASID)
        Capabilities: [320] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: amdgpu

carlopav

Postby carlopav » Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 am

Same here.
I also get a strange effect when using the bump map. Always with spotlight, sometimes also with default light:
If you look at the shadow, it seems the bump map is overlayed to the color map, with a different mapping UV system, but there is no trace of bump indeed.
1.JPG
1.JPG (137.07 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Video: NVidia GeForce GT 540M

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20886 +2282 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: e10b5659890ae77f9a54f8cad12bc5fb30d8daf0
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee

Postby paullee » Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 pm

realthunder wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Awesome development again :!:
paullee

Postby paullee » Thu May 21, 2020 7:36 pm

OficineRobotica wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm
Ok....I'm convinced Santa comes in may this year lol.
Are there available opensource texture like these timber floor, bricks available for use ?

Or better still can it be a library built-in FC / add-on ?

I have not made a collection of textures and always wish there is one for e.g. Blender etc.

Thanks.