shadows in the freecad viewport

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: shadows in the freecad viewport

Post by obelisk79 »

I can confirm, using realthunder's fork of Coin3D resolved the problem.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

realthunder wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:28 am But the shader error is reported from within libCoin. It should work with my fork of coin.
obelisk79 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:17 pm I can confirm, using realthunder's fork of Coin3D resolved the problem.
@realthunder, any plan to add a PR for coin with you changes? Having another coin-variant makes thinks really messy...
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:03 pm @realthunder, any plan to add a PR for coin with you changes? Having another coin-variant makes thinks really messy...
Most likely not. My changes are not general enough and does not solve the fundamental problems I have with the library. I am planning to keep using the official Coin3D for scene graphs, but rewrite the OpenGL rendering part. This will give us much more freedom to improve rendering performance and implement other advanced graphics effects. I am already halfway through.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

realthunder wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:22 pm I am already halfway through.
Ha ha .....I knew it. I found it strange you were so silent lately :D . This is big for freecad yet again. You made a grown man happy lol.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

realthunder wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:22 pm Most likely not. My changes are not general enough and does not solve the fundamental problems I have with the library. I am planning to keep using the official Coin3D for scene graphs, but rewrite the OpenGL rendering part. This will give us much more freedom to improve rendering performance and implement other advanced graphics effects. I am already halfway through.
great to hear this! I planned to add a realthunder-variant to the weekly conda-builds, but with another coin variant I think things will get a bit messy.
mwojtaszek

Post by mwojtaszek »

realthunder wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:07 pm Here is my implementation, you can try it with my fork at here. The 'Shadow' style can be customized through document property. In other word, the configuration is customizable and saved to each document. By default the 'Shadow' draw style comes with a ground at the Z bottom of the scene bounding box. You can turn off the ground, move it, change color, etc. You can choose lighting type, color, direction, intensity, and many more.

This is great, however how can I translate the altitude / azimuth from the actual sun rays direction to these x, y, z values ?

maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

any plans to implement this in FreeCAD main soon?
This would also resolve the issue: viewtopic.php?p=714209#p714209
GH: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/11113