Small usability enhancement when creating an op

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
mlampert

Small usability enhancement when creating an op

Postby mlampert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:10 am

I often have multiple jobs in a single file and the constant selection of the job when creating a new op is quite annoying. [link=https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1596]PR #1596[/link] changes the current behaviour in automatically adding the op to the job of which's base model is currently selected - unless the selected feature is valid for multiple jobs (or none) in which case the old job selection dialog pops up again.

So if you select a feature of a job's Base object, the new op will always be added to that job (no dialog).

If you select a feature of the original model object, then the new op will be added to the job who's Base object is a clone of that object. Should multiple jobs use said object as the source for their Base you'll be presented with a dialog to select one of those jobs (note that in this case jobs that have a different Base object are not part of the selection).

If no feature is selected, or the selected feature is not part of any job's Base object (or it's original), then the same dialog as today is brought with all existing jobs being part of the selection.

Let me know how this works out and/or if you have a better idea.
chrisb

Re: Small usability enhancement when creating an op

Postby chrisb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:26 am

Sounds perfect. Will test when it is in master.
mlampert

Postby mlampert » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 am

Similarly, starting with [link=https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1601]PR-1601[/link] a new OP will use the same ToolController as the previous op in the same job without requiring a pre-selection by the user.

A JobTemplate typically has all the tools which are used for a particular type of job, and if you have more than one tool bit for your 12mm plywood job template, then currently each time you create a new op a dialog will pop up making you select which one of the TCs you actually want to use.

Most of the time one pools ops that use the same tool in order to minimize the # tool changes - so most often when creating a new op you'll select the same tool as the previous op .....

Again, if this is not how you guys work, or if you have a better approach to reduce the # clicks to create a new op, please let me know.
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am

Both of these changes are perfect for me. :D

Gene