3D pocket produces nothing of consequence

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ericcsforge

Re: 3D pocket produces nothing of consequence

Post by ericcsforge »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:40 pm ...
And I changed the boundary adjustment to nearly the diameter of the mill.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I tried the exercise again with a 6.35 mm endmill. It did not work. This time I got an error message:

15:59:49 Failed to create offset face.
15:59:49 PathSurface.ERROR: Failed to pre-process model and/or selected face(s).
15:59:49 3D Surface operation time is 0.00413 sec.

And again, there was NULL output in the 3D surface block.

It looks like I failed to do the correct "boundary adjustment". I will have to search for how to do this correctly. Is there anything else you did that was special? That tool path you got looks great. The step over percent looks pretty small, 10%?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sorry, after your writing about OCL I had assumed this was about 3D surface, because 3D pocket doesn't use OCL at all. The 10% stepover came from your won model, and for such a slanted face I would indeed mill it like that, perhaps even smaller.

I think 3Dpocket fails, if you don't have some collar around it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I tried with a collar, alas, it didn't work either with 3DPocket.
Attachments
SnipScreenshot-415cf6.png
SnipScreenshot-415cf6.png (11.48 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ericcsforge

Post by ericcsforge »

Hi chrisb. Thanks to your suggestions, and that beautiful picture, I got it working with 3D surface. No problem, we all try to do what we can with the workarounds. I just needed to uncheck the "boundary enforcement" box. The path that I got was a simple rectangular sweep, which is geometrically less challenging than a trapezoid constrained path. This should do the job! Thanks again!
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ericcsforge wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:19 pm The path that I got was a simple rectangular sweep
I played around with the file a bit and ended up with this.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (38 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

As Chris said, 3D Pocket is not the correct operation. 3D Surface works, as you found. However, one problem I found in your file is that the tool size appears to be larger than the surface to be processed. This generally does not work at all unless extensions are selected. If you want a relatively correct profile it will be necessary to use ball-nose tools and small steps.

For the image above I used a 3 mm tool and 20% stepover.

Gene
ericcsforge

Post by ericcsforge »

Hi Gene. This result looks great, thanks. I guess that I still think about this from the point of view of a manual machinist. I would not do this job with an end mill less than 6 mm. Did you set anything else except for 3mm end mill and 20% step over? I guess I could always do some fiddling.

It looks like my part of the project is done, and I now have to wait on the other teammates for the CNC mill start-up at our makerspace. Hoping for good news from them. Thanks again for your help and investigation.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ericcsforge wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 pm Did you set anything else except for 3mm end mill and 20% step over? I guess I could always do some fiddling.
I am sure I did a lot of fiddling. I am not sure today exactly what I ended up with, but it was not some secret magic. I just tried a bunch of different options.

In general this sort of milling will not give a very nice result. There will be steps, even when using a ballend mill. I did not use a ballend mill for my demo, but the pattern would look the same in any case. If you want a smooth surface, similar to the surfaces on commercial clamps, it will be necessary to tilt the workpiece or use a 4-axis machine.

FreeCAD can now do an early version of 4-axis which would work quite well in this case. You would just need to set the "rotation" parameters.

I highly recommended experimentation at the design stage. There are lots of adjustable parameters for a reason. 8-)

Gene
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

ericcsforge wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 pm Hi Gene. This result looks great, thanks. I guess that I still think about this from the point of view of a manual machinist.
A solid start, CNC just gives more options.

I would not do this job with an end mill less than 6 mm.
The same applies with 3D surface, Use the largest tool that will fit. A larger ball endmill or bullnose endmill ( with larger radius) will produce fewer surface ripples due to step over for the same percentage stepover, and process faster.
Using surface you are not constrained by borders or edges. (Turn off Boundary Enforcement) You can fiddle with these with the relevant parameters as well.
I guess I could always do some fiddling.
The best way to learn something like FreeCAD, as per Gene's example; not everything has or can be documented (like manual machining again)
You can use various machining strategies depending on tooling and job shape or material .

For 3D surface your best friends are the properties in the DATA TAB for the Operation.

Create a 3D Surface Operation with Boundary Enforcement deselected
With the Surface Operation selected in the job tree, go to the Data Tab and right mouse click on any of the Property lines and check Show All box, this should give you a much bigger list; mostly in highlight yellow.
The main ones of use in handling surface are in " Clearing Options " and " Selected Geometry Settings "
Properties.png
Properties.png (45.54 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

Cut Mode choice of Conventional or Climb
Cut Pattern list of patterns, I prefer line or zig-zag, zig-zag reduces the repositioning rapids and introduces alternating conventional climb cuts
Cur Pattern Angle very handy- sets the angle of the tool path . Usually 0.0 by default which gives X-axis travel. Change the angle to suit preferred travel orientation . 0.0 along the face , 90.0 across the face , or anything else, say 45.0 to travel down a face truncated off the corner of a cube.
Cut Pattern Reversed reverse the travel direction of the path. From top down to bottom up ; or left to right to right to left
Depth Offset offset the path vertically to leave material, finish allowance, but there are better ways to do roughing
Layer Mode single pass, multi pass ; single pass is what I use as the step over is creating small material removal
Pattern Center At list, have only used center of mass
Pattern Center Custom list of options
Profile Edges none ( there is a list of options
Sample Interval Smaller gives finer detail at the cost of calculation time. Smaller preferred
Step Over percentage of cutter size, small as practical to minimise surface roughness ( ripples left from step over )
Properties_1.png
Properties_1.png (39.91 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

Most useful here are:
Boundary Enforcement false, to allow cutter to go to the extremities of the shape
Boundary Adjustment , by default the path will wrap over the edge of the shape by the tool radius, not a problem, but by giving this a negative value of up to the tool RADIUS this overlap can be reduced or eliminated. The overlap is not really needed as the center of the tool will cut up to the edge anyway. ( more negative values can be used to leave a rim for example )

Fiddle away, it will teach you the most about Freecad if you apply it to all aspects. The default settings are usually just the starting point