How to efficiently mill a circular pocket with Path WB?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giulio Buccini

How to efficiently mill a circular pocket with Path WB?

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Hello folks,

I'm milling a 14mm-dia wisher and I need to flat down the top surface of 1 mm.

Again, I've encountered the usual drawback of the Path WB when milling circular shapes/pockets: apparently there is not an efficient way for doing that.

Spiral pattern
It produces a strange path with a lot of stop-and-go and a lot of unnecessary travel (very inefficient -see below).

Zig-Zag pattern
Fascinating and with a lot of options. Unfortunately it has again a lot of stop-and-go (again very inefficient)

Offset pattern
Again massive and unnecessary travels. I also cannot reduce the number of passes (see the second image below)

On the other hand, I have an old, ridiculous, toy-like cnc-program that produces a very efficient spiral path when milling circular shapes. The milling bit never raise up during the milling of a layer.
When a layer is terminated it simply raise up the bit, return back to center and start a new spiral for the new layer. Simple and efficient.
Selection_7454.jpg
Selection_7454.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
As you can see, the program produces a simple Archimede's spiral to move at the asked diameter, and the make a single 180* arc. After the arc is finished, it makes another archimede's arc to move to the next diameter-value and make another 180° arc again. And so on.

There is no way to get something like that in the Path workbench? Maybe a special operation just for circular shapes could be added in the tool palette?

P.S.
About the spiral pattern: please note that I get always a wrong milling operation, i.e. some material stays not cut no matter how muche time I play with parameters.
Attachments
Selection_7452.jpg
Selection_7452.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
Selection_7453.jpg
Selection_7453.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
spanner888

Re: How to efficiently mill a circular pocket with Path WB?

Post by spanner888 »

Please follow the general instructions on asking for help https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264.

Without this information, especially full FreeCAD info and in this case your model, it is hard for anyone to give precise information to your situation, especially with Path WB as it has had enormous changes in recent versions and these continue in dev ver 0.20.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Ooops! I forgot it.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25065 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 4de2ad46b2b9c78ac2721a0dbea7c19306261095
Python version: 3.9.4
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

You need to use "extensions" to reach the edges. Also, you may want to reduce "step over" to ensure overlap with no gaps.

Finally, if you edit the properties in the Property Panel for the Pocket_shape you can select "Keep tool down". Right click on the property panel and select "Show all". I do not know why this is hidden. At one time it was part of the task panel, but I guess it was decided that it was dangerous for people who did not understand its behavior.

If you add an actual FCStd file you might get more help.

Gene
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Hello, I will try those options.
In the meanwhile, I attach my file (I applied a zigzag operation for the moment, now I have to run going to my lab to mill something).
Attachments
flat-scheibe M5x14.FCStd
(32.91 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 am Hello folks,

I'm milling a 14mm-dia wisher and I need to flat down the top surface of 1 mm.

Again, I've encountered the usual drawback of the Path WB when milling circular shapes/pockets: apparently there is not an efficient way for doing that....
Good morning.
Au contraire, FreeCAD is capable of what you desire using 3D Surface with Spiral pattern and boundary adjustment, or Adaptive with new Extensions feature in pre_0.20. Please reference images and attached file.

Opening your recently posted model file, it appears you might be using the Legacy tool system. I attempted to use 3D Surface with your tool in your file and it failed to map to an acceptable OCL tool, causing 3D Surface to fail. I would encourage you to migrate to the new ToolBit system for tools - just a recommendation.

Long live FreeCAD! :D
Russell

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25330 +4 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: feature/cut_patterns
Hash: ed6d109c609063f04ef9f7e6e2ad627ae7023e7d
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
washer_with_spiral_pattern.FCStd
Source file for attached images, using 2mm diameter bit
(97.74 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
3D Surface op with Spiral pattern and boundary adjustment to allow cutter to move beyond face boundary.
3D Surface op with Spiral pattern and boundary adjustment to allow cutter to move beyond face boundary.
Snip macro screenshot-007758.png (150.97 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Adaptive op with Extensions feature and Use Outline enabled
Adaptive op with Extensions feature and Use Outline enabled
Snip macro screenshot-252080.png (156.8 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Russ4262 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:47 pm I would encourage you to migrate to the new ToolBit system for tools - just a recommendation.
Hello Russel,
what is the "new ToolBit system for tools"? :oops:
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

may be he is refering to that:
Path_ToolBit
Path_Tools
Path_ToolBitLibraryOpen

but I don't know if they are up to dated. the main information were written 9 months ago.