Are there supposed to be pre-existing tool bits in the tool bit library?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sigung

Are there supposed to be pre-existing tool bits in the tool bit library?

Post by sigung »

Are there supposed to be pre-existing tool bits in the tool bit library? I've followed the instructions for finding the library but there doesn't seem to be anything in there. Fusion 360 comes with a complete tool bit library already installed, so I thought FreeCAD would as well.

Mac OSX Mojave, FreeCAD .19
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Are there supposed to be pre-existing tool bits in the tool bit library?

Post by chrisb »

I am getting tired of this: Fusion 360 is not a clone of FreeCAD, FreeCAD is not a clone of Fusion 360.

Moved to Path forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

sigung wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm Fusion 360 comes with a complete tool bit library already installed, so I thought FreeCAD would as well.
I bet even a $1,000,000 CAD program does not know what tools I have in my shop. :lol:

The newer versions of FreeCAD DO have a fairly complete set of tool shapes available and readily selectable. You will need to call out the dimensions, but that is straightforward.

see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Path_ToolBitLibraryOpen and surrounding pages for more information.

You will need to use a development version (0.20.xxxxx) for full advantage. See https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds

Gene
sigung

Post by sigung »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:34 pm I am getting tired of this: Fusion 360 is not a clone of FreeCAD, FreeCAD is not a clone of Fusion 360.

Moved to Path forum.
You know, I get tired of people taking offense at every thing that's said. I'm completely new to this CAD world and am struggling mightily to understand how things are going to work. It was an innocent enough question, but I guess some people just want to spread the hate.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I hope my answer gave you the information needed. If not just ask for more detail.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sigung wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:01 pm You know, I get tired of people taking offense at every thing that's said.
but I guess some people just want to spread the hate.
You are right and I'm glad you are not talking about me.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sigung

Post by sigung »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:22 pm
sigung wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:01 pm You know, I get tired of people taking offense at every thing that's said.
but I guess some people just want to spread the hate.
You are right and I'm glad you are not talking about me.
Oh I am so talking about you. My first post on this forum and you attack me for asking a completely innocent question. I feel sorry for your family and friends IF you have any.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sigung wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:01 pm You know, I get tired of people taking offense at every thing that's said. I'm completely new to this CAD world and am struggling mightily to understand how things are going to work. It was an innocent enough question, but I guess some people just want to spread the hate.
Yes, I was harsh. But if you have looked into the forum - and I am sure you have, because you know that all helpers here are unpaid volunteers - you would have seen three things:
1) I don't take offense at every thing that's said.
2) I am not spreading the hate, and I still wouldn't say my post above was hateful (if I got its semantics right).
3) You could have seen that we get a lot posts from Fusion360 users demanding or insinuating that FreeCAD should behave like this program. You weren' attacked for the question about the toolbits. So what was your intention telling us how something works in Fusion 360? Did you want to say, that you prefer using it? Then go ahead, use it; you will get your money back, there is no need to ask me by PM to ban you.

You mentioned my family in your PM, so let me use a parable from the same environment:
Imagine you have guests for dinner and you prepared a decent meal. And without even asking for comments your guests say things like: "The salad looks quite nice, but at the Millers it tastes better", "the soup lacks salt, at the Millers it's always perfect", "the meat at the Millers was more tender, and had less fat" ... Be honest, would you be happy and invite them again?