(solved) Glitchy Toolpath v20

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dkwvt

Re: Glitchy Toolpath v20

Post by dkwvt »

And one more...
A simple pocket generated in the new install of v20 just now
Attachments
pocket test.FCStd
(32.96 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
dkwvt

Post by dkwvt »

here is the same clean stp file loaded with the same pocket setup rendered in v19.
no issues, no recalculate required...?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +148 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.4
Hash: 476ecf091941bead59b14e44afa6064d5a66afa3
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
62stratv19.FCStd
(154.33 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
dkwvt

Post by dkwvt »

and a final kick in the butt...
this is the v20 toolpath generated on a different computer, an old hp laptop I don't use much any more.
this one calculated and rendered correctly.
To keep score,
3 computers, shop, home and laptop.
v19 works on all 3
v20 does not (pocket) on shop and home, works on laptop.
Am I looking at something machine specific here?
(V20 seems to function fine other than the pocketing glitches,I have generated some complex curved surfaces and toolpaths that appear fine.)

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves
Attachments
62strat.FCStd
(150.84 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Since Gene and others (me) have seen the bogus path get 'cleaned up' on a recompute, I'm highly suspicious of Arc and Geometry tolerance. Are you absolutely sure that those settings are identical between you different machines?

Have you tried backing up your .config/FreeCAD folder and deleting it?
dkwvt

Post by dkwvt »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:51 pm Since Gene and others (me) have seen the bogus path get 'cleaned up' on a recompute, I'm highly suspicious of Arc and Geometry tolerance. Are you absolutely sure that those settings are identical between you different machines?

Have you tried backing up your .config/FreeCAD folder and deleting it?
I am not sure of arc and geometry tolerance although that rings a bell for some issues I was having in the curves workbench a while back. Where are they and what should they be set at? I would rather not have to re-invent the wheel...

I have not tried to do anything with the config folder it honestly never entered my mind...

Thank You! dkw
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

dkwvt wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:00 pm
I am not sure of arc and geometry tolerance although that rings a bell for some issues I was having in the curves workbench a while back. Where are they and what should they be set at? I would rather not have to re-invent the wheel...
They're in the Path Preferences dialog. It's hard to say what they "should" be. It depends. Different models may require different settings, that's why they're adjustable preferences instead of hard-coded values. If it isn't set, try 0.001. Try larger and smaller values for both.
I have not tried to do anything with the config folder it honestly never entered my mind...
That's just one step in my process for dealing with weird bugs. If things aren't behaving right and nobody else can duplicate it, I'll blow away my config directory and try again. It has solved problems more times than I care to count.
dkwvt

Post by dkwvt »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm They're in the Path Preferences dialog. It's hard to say what they "should" be. It depends. Different models may require different settings, that's why they're adjustable preferences instead of hard-coded values. If it isn't set, try 0.001. Try larger and smaller values for both.
Aahhh yes, that's where I was before, I'll give that a try first.
sliptonic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:12 pm That's just one step in my process for dealing with weird bugs. If things aren't behaving right and nobody else can duplicate it, I'll blow away my config directory and try again. It has solved problems more times than I care to count.
Back up and delete... is there a (reinstall default) or just start from scratch?
Thank You for all the help...!
dkwvt

Post by dkwvt »

SUCCESS...!

It was the geometry and curve tolerances in path/job preferences. They were all over the map and all quite high. After some tweaking I was able to recompute the odd arcs in the dysfunctional v20 files and pocket accurately with fresh drawings.

Thank You all for the assistance, this is a wonderful program and a great community!

dkw
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Great! Glad to hear it!

I'm trying to encourage a climate where everybody helps pull the load. If you got helped, then figure out how you can help.

Can you improve a wiki page related to your issue?
Can you answer someone else's questions?
Are you a bookkeeper?
If nothing else, support the project or one of the developers so we can do more.