Path Workbench Code restructuring - heads up

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Path Workbench Code restructuring - heads up

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:44 pm Until now Path workbench was written in Python. Is this still so? Then I could replace the whole Mod/Path directory to get the new stuff?
I actually tried that first. I simply replaced everything in Mod/Path. It did not work because there are some hooks back into the FreeCAD core that need to be recompiled.

Most of the Path WB source is python, but there are some important C++ portions as well.

I don't know if a more intelligent approach would work.

Gene
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:51 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:44 pm Until now Path workbench was written in Python. Is this still so? Then I could replace the whole Mod/Path directory to get the new stuff?
I actually tried that first. I simply replaced everything in Mod/Path. It did not work because there are some hooks back into the FreeCAD core that need to be recompiled.
The issue was that I could not move the C++ and the Python backed classes into a single namespace without moving the C++ somewhere else first. So unfortunately a recompile is required.

For nerds:
The C++ classes now publish their python bindings in the module "PathApp". The "Path" namespace is now a pure python module which, upon it being imported, imports everything from the "PathApp" module which puts the C++ objects back where they were.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I found a couple small bugs and mlampert fixed them immediately. Gene found some issues with surface and those were fixed too. Otherwise this has not gotten much comment. So I'm assuming it's all good.

I'll be merging this as soon as mlampert gives me the final go-ahead.

If anyone has concerns, speak now or forever hold your peace.
LarryWoestman

Post by LarryWoestman »

So far I have found a couple of trivial bugs that were easily fixed.

Go for it!