Ramp feature for profile (patch included)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lorenz

Ramp feature for profile (patch included)

Post by lorenz »

Dear all,

in case anyone is interested, I made a small patch to (optionally) add ramping to the PathProfile Command. There is a new property "Ramp Angle" with which the downwards angle of the ramp can be specified. See https://github.com/dev-at-stellardeath- ... ramp_angle

Kind regards,
lorenz
quick61
Veteran

Re: Ramp feature for profile (patch included)

Post by quick61 »

Got around to building your branch. The ramp is a nice feature. Do you have plans to add the feature to the other Path profiles and Pocket operations?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
cox

Post by cox »

I have not tested yet, but i was wondering if you knew about this helix and ramp feature in this commit https://github.com/sliptonic/FreeCAD/co ... 9553b95b10 made in sliptonics path improve branch.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
lorenz

Post by lorenz »

i was wondering if you knew about this helix and ramp feature in this commit c81a012
Ah, cool - I was not aware, I will have a look. For others interested: You do not need to compile a whole FreeCAD, my changes only touch two python files,

https://github.com/dev-at-stellardeath- ... Profile.py
https://github.com/dev-at-stellardeath- ... thUtils.py

which you can just copy over to an existing up-to-date FreeCAD.
Do you have plans to add the feature to the other Path profiles and Pocket operations?
I don't know, maybe. This is my first contribution so far :)
Last edited by lorenz on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cox

Post by cox »

I am terribly sorry, for missing your firs post, without giving you a big hug and welcome to the FreeCAD forum :D
lorenz

Post by lorenz »

cox wrote:I am terribly sorry, for missing your firs post, without giving you a big hug and welcome to the FreeCAD forum :D
Thanks for the warm welcome!

What I initially wanted to do next was a command to make circular drill holes (larger than the tool) with multiple helix motions. However, I have a hard time figuring out the topology of Faces/Edges of a Shape. For example, supposing a user has selected a circular edge, I want to figure out how deep to drill by looking at the adjacent Face.

Does anybody know where information about the adjacency of different Faces/Edges is stored, exactly?

Ciao,
Lorenz
cox

Post by cox »

lorenz wrote:make circular drill holes (larger than the tool) with multiple helix motions.
Cool :D

I am very new to this, but I have been reading some path code lately. And this question has been bouncing around in my head.

The way I have ben thinking about this is brute force and probably not very efficient, if functional a all :oops:
1. Find all faces that have same normal as your circles direction
2. Sort that selection by CenterOfMass z distance from your circles CenterOfMass z possition
3. Iterate over the selection starting with the closest one
4. Make a copy of your circle and the current face and move to x/y plane.
5. If part union yields a result, you should have the closest adjacent face.

Please do not be shy in criticising this solution, I want to learn :D

I guess you could consider this as a special form of pocket operation? Would it be a idea to extend the PathPocket operation with a pattern?
lorenz

Post by lorenz »

cox wrote:brute force
Is this really the only way? Isn't the connectivity between objects stored somewhere? Maybe it is just not exposed to the Python layer...
cox

Post by cox »

lorenz wrote:Is this really the only way? Isn't the connectivity between objects stored somewhere? Maybe it is just not exposed to the Python layer...
Sorry, I have no idea, but my guts tel me that if there where relationship information between all items and shapes in a document, the document would have to be huge. This information would also have to be recalculated witch I guess would spend some serous processing power during every update of a shape.

Hope there is a function somewhere that could do this in a more efficient way.

Do not loose hope, there are many brilliant people here on the forum that will provide sensible guidance.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

The connectivity must be stored, there is no way for working modeling operations without that. The access from python is somewhat limited, but it works. It is a unidirectional connectivity from top to bottom:

1. A solids holds all its Faces/Edges/Vertices which you can access with Shape.Faces .Edges .Vertexes etc.
2. A Face holds all it Edges/Vertices which you access with Shape.Esges .Vertexes
3. A Edge holds ...

What does not work is to get from bottom to top, for example a Edge to the faces it is owned by. This is also the case because a edge can be part of multiple faces. So if you have a selected edge you need iterate all faces in the document object and test all edges of the faecs with the isSame/isPartner/isEqual methods to the selected one.