G-Code Postprocessor PyCAM

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ajhalls

G-Code Postprocessor PyCAM

Post by ajhalls »

I am hoping to build a simple 3 / 4 axis machine and have been looking for a source of free g-code generation. I started a few months ago using FreeCAD and love it, but haven't figured out the simple / free way to end up with gcode. I know a lot of users recommend MeshLab, and commercial users use solidworks, mastercam, bobcad and others, but I am just fiddling around here trying to do some basics.

I am not sure yet how far along the Path workbench is, I can't seem to find where to download the current version from and what I can find is from middle of last year.

That being said, I did see this python toolpath generator that may be able to add g-code export to FreeCAD. http://pycam.sourceforge.net/. It is GPL open source, so there shouldn't be any conflicts that I am aware of.
quick61
Veteran

Re: G-Code Postprocessor PyCAM

Post by quick61 »

PyCAM is OK for 2D stuff and basic 3D, (it only handles meshes in 3D, not solids), but when you get to couture, it becomes unbearably slow, and I mean "kill it off and say screw it" slow. That, and PyCAM's code has little to offer with the way tool paths are created in FreeCAD. 0.16.6703 has the latest release of Path included and was just released a short while ago. You can find the latest release of FreeCAD for your OS here - Download

Note, that Path has a long way to go and is just been introduced to FreeCAD, thus is under heavy development, so don't expect too much from it at the moment.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
ajhalls

Re: G-Code Postprocessor PyCAM

Post by ajhalls »

Sounds great, I am updating my FreeCAD and will give it a shot.
Alan