Missing Plunge Angle

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Missing Plunge Angle

Post by herbk »

Hi again,
some time in the past Plunge Angle works (at least at pocket Operation). Aktuell it doesn't work and on some Operation preferences i'm missing the posibility to select/set an plunge angle.

To set a plunge angle is an important thing to save tool live time, why you take it off?
Gruß Herbert
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Missing Plunge Angle

Post by mlampert »

I don't think any of us took this feature away - but it might have gotten broken at one point.

Also, we're planning to replace the current op specific plunge angle support by a more generic dressup which then can be applied to all paths, and we don't have to implement support for that with every single op.
See http://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2752

Having said all that, how broken is the current implementation? Maybe we need to bump the priority of that issue.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

The pocket helical and ramp entry code is very brittle and only works for occ pockets. Make sure the report window is open and look for messages. It reports what it is doing as it falls back from helical to ramp to plunge entry. If it can't find a safe place to do a helical it tries the next, etc.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Markus,
i didn't read the tracker, sorry...
how broken is the current implementation?
very to all out... ;)
Gruß Herbert
lorenz

Post by lorenz »

Hi there,

I contributed the plunge angle feature half a year ago, in commit c862fc006. I also now noticed that it was taken out again, with commit 84b3617c97, "PATH: Delete misplaced and unused files"...

It seems the code is still there, but commented out in now unused routines, it was mostly in the convert() and MakePath() functions of PathUtils.py.

I had a short look into the new code, but it is not entirely obvious to me where the equivalent stuff is in the current revision.