Bug or user error?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cahlfors

Bug or user error?

Post by cahlfors »

Dear community,
I am making my first tries in the path workbench and running into problems, but not sure if it is me or something else that needs fixing. ;)
There is one milling and one drilling operation in the picture below. If we first look at the milling operation, it looks as if the mill will go straight to the origin at the surface of the part, then scrape the surface at z=0 to the point of the pocket, lift the tool to some height and then spiral down (nice spirals, by the way - good job!) and start milling.
For the drilling operation, it looks like the tool will plunge straight through the material to z=-25mm (z points upwards, don't know if the spindle is turning at this point), then move sideways through the material and out on the lower level on to the point of the hole, drill, move up to the clearance height and move on to the next hole behind the first one in the picture.
Markering_006.png
Markering_006.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
To create the paths involved, I have marked the edges of the holes and pocket respectively, then selected the corresponding operation and adjusted the parameters to get non-zero drill depth, feed rates etc. Easy enough workflow (brilliant, actually!), but the result? Heeks is a little more specific with how the tool closes in on the part.

Not sure I want to try this on the actual machine to see what is really happening... Is this a bug I should report or something I fail to understand?

Thanks for any pointers,
/Chris

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
Mendel 3d-printer/OctoPrint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Bug or user error?

Post by sliptonic »

It would be helpful to see your file or at least the gcode output.
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

Here is the file:
elevationinverted.fcstd
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
I am currently unable to add a LinuxCNC postprocessor - don't know where to find it and so no gcode at the moment.

Thanks,
/Chris
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You are using the current stable version 0.16 of FreeCAD. There are very serious changes made and going on in the development version. Could you install the daily 0.17 version and retry? You can install both versions without problems in parallel, they only share the personal configuration files.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

Will do!
Actually, I thought I was using daily builds, but that failed. :oops:

Thanks,
/Chris
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The daily build is called by freecad-daily instead of freecad. The same holds for the package names.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.