Path.Area: Welcome, to the new era!

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill

Re: Path.Area: Welcome, to the new era!

Post by bill »

I dont know what you are trying to do; pocket that hex rim with zigzag?

Can a TOOL zigzag in its own WIDTH?

Maybe you need to zigzag the face feature of the widened wire? like this? Hope this can help!
feature_feature.png
feature_feature.png (14.82 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
pocketsim_sim.fcstd
(76.78 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07 pm Does the 'thicken' property work with pocket mode? I'm playing more with collision detection and can't seem to get it to work
Fixed in my branch. Please test.
bill wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:07 am I dont know what you are trying to do; pocket that hex rim with zigzag?
He is trying to thicken the pocketing path to see if the tool bumps into something. It can also be used to visualize pocket area coverage.
Screenshot from 2017-06-21 11-49-23.png
Screenshot from 2017-06-21 11-49-23.png (19.86 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Fixed in my branch. Please test.

:shock:
Damn, you're fast!

I didn't have time to reply to Bill and you got the reply AND the fix!
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:00 am Damn, you're fast!

I didn't have time to reply to Bill and you got the reply AND the fix!
Well, it's a small fix after all. So, are you testing fine? If so, I'll submit the PR.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 am Well, it's a small fix after all. So, are you testing fine? If so, I'll submit the PR.
Let me do a bit more work this morning and I'll post again.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Two things I'm still struggling with and only one might be a PathArea issue.
I've got sectioncount=-1 and Stepdown=1 but when I do simobj = pocket.getShape(), I only get back the bottom section, not the others as shown in your image.

The other issue, I don't think is PathArea but I'm not sure. in the attached file, I have the thickened path (sim) and the original pocket. They should be colliding. But if I check for the volume of the common, I get 0.0

Code: Select all

orig = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Pocket.Shape
sim = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.simshape.Shape
intersection = orig.common(sim)
print sim.Volume
print orig.Volume
print intersection.Volume

>>>19831.0408755
>>>349991.353417
>>>0.0
Attachments
collisionbug.fcstd
(92.56 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 am I've got sectioncount=-1 and Stepdown=1 but when I do simobj = pocket.getShape(), I only get back the bottom section, not the others as shown in your image.
This is probably because you've set the bottom face as work plane, and use the default SectionMode, which means relative to work plane. A positive stepdown means starting from the work plane downwards, so you only get one section. If you don't set the plane, the default work plane is the top XY0 parallel face, and you'll get the expected result. Or, if you still want the bottom face as work plane, try either change step down to -1, or use different SectionMode.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 am The other issue, I don't think is PathArea but I'm not sure. in the attached file, I have the thickened path (sim) and the original pocket. They should be colliding. But if I check for the volume of the common, I get 0.0
If you Part.show(intersection), you'll see an error message. Looks like common operation failed. What do you want to achieve here? I fail to see why common operation is used for collision detection. If common were to succeed, you should be getting the same shape as sim, right? I don't think OCC is suitable for doing such operation that may be too close to tolerance. You can try using Area, but may still have problem, because it still requires OCC to convert back the result to Face.

import Path
area = Path.Area().setPlane(orig.Face13).add([orig,sim],op=2)
Part.show(area.getShape())
op=2 means Intersection (i.e. common). You can try other operations if you want. The key is to set the correct workplane.
bill

Post by bill »

What/How tolerance are you checking (at):

Have not looked at this for a long time; but do seem to remember needing to adjust tolerance to object size!

... if Cvol.Volume > 1e-12 :
errorDialog(
'WARNING: COLLISION/INTERFERENCE Detected Between Objects ! \n\n {} and {}\n\n INTERFERENCE Volume is approximately {} cubed/units!\n'.format(
OBJ1,OBJ2,Cvol.Volume))
else:
errorDialog(
'NO COLLISION/INTERFERENCE Detected Between Objects ! \n\n {}\n and\n {}\n\n'.format(OBJ1,OBJ2))...

You WILL encounter False Negatives depending on tolerance selection!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

realthunder wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 am This is probably because you've set the bottom face as work plane, and use the default SectionMode, which means relative to work plane. A positive stepdown means starting from the work plane downwards, so you only get one section. If you don't set the plane, the default work plane is the top XY0 parallel face, and you'll get the expected result. Or, if you still want the bottom face as work plane, try either change step down to -1, or use different SectionMode.
Yes, that did it. Thanks.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 am What do you want to achieve here? I fail to see why common operation is used for collision detection. If common were to succeed, you should be getting the same shape as sim, right? I don't think OCC is suitable for doing such operation that may be too close to tolerance. You can try using Area, but may still have problem, because it still requires OCC to convert back the result to Face.
I might be trying to be too clever here or using OCC inappropriately. If there's an easier/better way to detect collision, I'm all for it. My goal wasn't to push this close with tight tolerance but just to find gross overlaps where user settings in the path operation would result in a gouged model.

In this specific example, the common and the sim are the same and that would be fine. A volume> 0 would correctly indicate a collision.

A more accurate representation of the sim would include all the sections like below. Collision detection is one advantage, but the real reason for calculating objects like this is to find areas NOT removed by the operation so they can be refined with another operation/tool. This is called 'rest machining' Then may, just maybe, I can finally kill the spider.
snapshot-2-1.png
snapshot-2-1.png (51.5 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:36 pm A more accurate representation of the sim would include all the sections like below. Collision detection is one advantage, but the real reason for calculating objects like this is to find areas NOT removed by the operation so they can be refined with another operation/tool.
Yeah, I that's my guess, too. So, you should actually use 'difference' operation instead,

import Path
area = Path.Area().setPlane(orig.Face13).add([orig,sim],op=1)
Part.show(area.getShape())
op=1 means 'difference' (i.e. Cut). You can adjust the code to produce sections of 'difference'.
Screenshot from 2017-06-23 00-51-20.png
Screenshot from 2017-06-23 00-51-20.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
You can then do another pocketing to this with a finer tool.