gcode from primitives

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
deburgess

gcode from primitives

Post by deburgess »

For a symmetric object based on primitives, is it possible to directly generate gcode for a 3d-printer without generating a mesh?

In principle gcode seems to based on moving the printer head. So, would not these movements be more accurately and efficiently generated from a parametric description of the surfaces, rather than a 3d mesh?

Would it be possible to translate gcode developed on the Path/CAM workbench to gcode for a 3d Printer?

Thank you very much for your help and comments.
MakeCap.py
Python code for generating my object
(713 Bytes) Downloaded 73 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: gcode from primitives

Post by chrisb »

deburgess wrote: Would it be possible to translate gcode developed on the Path/CAM workbench to gcode for a 3d Printer?
This is possible with a special post processor.
However there might be two drawbacks:
1.) I am not sure if the printers really understand the G2 and G3 commands, e.g. none of the example files that came with my printer uses it, and one of the examples is a tube made of circles only! So where should it be used if not there?
2.) You have to create paths with a really minimal stepdown. It has to be investigated if FreeCAD still performs with acceptable speed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
stanislau

Re: gcode from primitives

Post by stanislau »

1.) I am not sure if the printers really understand the G2 and G3 commands
Marlin suports G2/G3 movement http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/G02.html Also Slic3r supports G2/G3
I guess the problem is that the .stl are flat faces,so the are no curves involved