After action report

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jakob Lundberg

After action report

Post by Jakob Lundberg »

Here are some pictures from my first run using the FreeCAD Path workbench.

The first model is a childrens chair.
The second is a radiator bench.
Here is what the Path Job ended like.
By the router.
Quick and dirty dry fitting of one of the chairs.
And also of the bench.

Due to a bug in the holding tags dressup there are a lot of moves to origin. I removed these from the generated gcode by hand.

There are some holes in one of the pockets. I didn't know how to get the pocket to run over these holes. Therefore I removed the holes from the Body when I generated the gcode for the pocket. And then added the holes to generate the drilling gcode. And copy/pasted afterwards. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this.

I had made the holding tags too small. One of the air hole cutouts got loose. :shock: So I had to stop the router and do a quick edit of the gcode :oops: I found it a bit tricky to get the holding tags there in the first place. Sometimes the tags refused to be activated, not sure why.

I did get some splintering of the plywood from the upcut router bit. I guess I should get a compression bit for the next time I do plywood.

Thanks a lot to everyone behind the FreeCAD Path workbench. I think it is awesome!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: After action report

Post by sliptonic »

Thanks for the report. Looks nice!

Most of the things you mention are known or already solved in un-merged branches.

I'm curious, did you use Arch panels to lay out the whole sheet cut?
Jakob Lundberg

Re: After action report

Post by Jakob Lundberg »

Yes, those are Arch Panels.

I tried to use Arch Cuts first. But I found it easier to have the 3D Panels in the Path workbench. Especially for the pockets.
There is also a Arch Sheet. Just so I got a feel of how large the plywood is.