Mill Face Operation: Pass Extension Reversed ???

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill

Mill Face Operation: Pass Extension Reversed ???

Post by bill »

Is the pass extension flipped/reversed; it used to work fine!
This:
PassExt.png
PassExt.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Generates that:
PEpic.png
PEpic.png (7.87 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
PEver.png
PEver.png (14.3 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Mill Face Operation: Pass Extension Reversed ???

Post by sliptonic »

I don't know why that would have changed but I've inverted it and included the change with PR 818
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

What is the current state of this? I tried a pass extension of +2 and it under-cut surface.

If I give it a negative it throws an exception:

Code: Select all

PathOpGui.INFO: Title: 'Pocket 3D'
Pocketing Select Mode
Exception (Mon Jun 17 13:12:48 2019): invalid extra count  
FreeCAD exception thrown (invalid extra count)Something unexpected happened. Check project and tool config.Exception (Mon Jun 17 13:12:48 2019): invalid extra count  
FreeCAD exception thrown (invalid extra count)Something unexpected happened. Check project and tool config.
current master:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16988 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: ff7975291d33a88e6a8282b88a62dbcbcc01ba2b
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
I need it to run into the stock on the outside to get a clean finish. I'm guessing it thows an exception at the other end where this would imply cutting into the remainder of the part.

I would expect a better handling of this error, and would like something intelligent enough to cut where it can ( unused stock ) and avoid the extension when it would dig into the part.

Either way, it looks to me like the inversion has crept back in.
Attachments
z-block-pass-extension.fcstd
(75.02 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Totally different issue....and operation.

This thread is about Mill Face operation and the property in question has been renamed to 'Material Allowance'.

The issue you're seeing is about 3D Pocket operation and a property called 'Pass Extension'. This is a new feature being introduced by mlampert and not complete.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for the explanation. Obviously the historical name and functional similarity led to confusions when looking into whether this was a known issue.

since the dialogue for these path tools is common and there is much common code, I'd thought it was the same feature.

Does "not complete" indicate it is not worth signalling problems since they are likely know already?

I don't want to dog-bone this since it will mess up the other end of the cut. Apart from pretending the cut is longer and mis-placing the workpiece, is there a workaround to clean up the outer end of this 3D Pocket ?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Extensions is the feature to extend a pocket past the boundary specifically for this kind of clean-up.

Not complete means just that. Part of the feature was implemented but then had some overlap with the work that Russ was doing on the same files. Markus put it on hold pending Russ's work which, I think, has all been merged now. This is still a development branch so things are, and should be expected to be, in flux.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

OK, so we'll just have to wait for this to mature a bit.

In the meantime , this job can be finished by hand. The edge is non critical. Otherwise I suppose I could always pretend the part was longer to trick FreeCAD into cutting a bit further out.