Path - Bug in StartPoint when one coordinate is zero

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
GeneFC

Path - Bug in StartPoint when one coordinate is zero

Postby GeneFC » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

I realize there has been a lot of discussion of Start Points in the PathArea mega-thread and more recently in the discussion about face milling. This one is a bit different, and it should be a bit simpler.

When creating a Profile I sometimes need to move the starting position for the cut. If I select "Use Start Point" and enter coordinates, the feature works fine, with one important exception. If one of the requested coordinates is exactly zero, that coordinate is ignored in the internal motion code and the output gcode. That sometimes means the actual start point is nowhere near the requested point, since the previous location for the requested "zero coordinate" axis could be anywhere. If the zero is replaced with a tiny non-zero number, such as 0.0000001, then the output is correct.

Another minor issue is that the fx expression handler for the coordinate input fields will not allow any units; only metric inputs are allowed.

I will file a bug report if needed.

Gene
sliptonic

Re: Path - Bug in StartPoint when one coordinate is zero

Postby sliptonic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 pm

GeneFC wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

I will file a bug report if needed.
Good catch. Please do.
Konstantin

Postby Konstantin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 am

GeneFC wrote:
If I select "Use Start Point" and enter coordinates, the feature works fine, with one important exception.
With two exceptions I'd say. It uses start point only for the first cut, then it goes down in the contour. It should make a first "layer', then go up ant back to start point (with Z-step) in rapid, make next layer and so on.
sliptonic

Postby sliptonic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Konstantin wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 am
GeneFC wrote:
If I select "Use Start Point" and enter coordinates, the feature works fine, with one important exception.
With two exceptions I'd say. It uses start point only for the first cut, then it goes down in the contour. It should make a first "layer', then go up ant back to start point (with Z-step) in rapid, make next layer and so on.
It does this for profile. If it's not working for contour, it's a bug.
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm

GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Konstantin wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 am
GeneFC wrote:
The bug I reported was exactly what I said. If I got the start point to work correctly by using a tiny non-zero number, then everything else worked perfectly, including subsequent layers. I do not want a rapid z-step.

I do not fully understand what you are seeing and what you want to happen, but it is not my bug. :D

Gene
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 pm

@sliptonic

Sorry, I just got my first notice of this action today. The issue is closed, so I cannot add a comment to the ticket. I do not know why I did not receive your comments a couple a weeks ago.

In any case, the problem seems to be resolved.

Thanks,
Gene