What about machine settings?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Konstantin

What about machine settings?

Post by Konstantin »

Hello. I remember, some time ago there was some machine settings in Job, right? What happened with machines? Where did they gone? Why? Can someone tell me?

Why I'm asking: I have two machines with two different tool sets. It is not so comfortable to constantly import tooltables (and templates while creating job it's not a solution, because I can't I use different tools, not just one)
mlampert
Veteran

Re: What about machine settings?

Post by mlampert »

I removed all of those because they weren't used anywhere. We're planning to bring them back once they are tied to functionality.
Konstantin wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:49 pm Why I'm asking: I have two machines with two different tool sets. It is not so comfortable to constantly import tooltables (and templates while creating job it's not a solution, because I can't I use different tools, not just one)
A job template can contain an arbitrary number of tool controllers and their tools. So if you create a job with all tools that are in machine A and export that as a template you can use that template for all future jobs you're planning to process on machine A.

Because the template also includes the feed rates you can create several templates for machine A for different materials. All having the same tools but different feed rates for them.

Does that help with what you're trying to do?
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

mlampert wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 pm A job template can contain an arbitrary number of tool controllers and their tools. So if you create a job with all tools that are in machine A and export that as a template you can use that template for all future jobs you're planning to process on machine A.
No, that's bad. Imagine, for my part I need an endmill, drill and a tap. Now, if I create some template for that, export it, then it will cause tool changing marathon in the program beginning. That's absolutely insane. If I could at least create templates with tools and other operations (and then attach needed faces in every operation by hand), it would be a bit better, but it's still not a solution.

Machines are needed. Postprocessor must be tied to the machine, tooltable must be tied to machine. Tooltable must be in separate file, not in user.conf, one tooltable for one machine, every machine in separate file.

Dreams, dreams, dreams :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Konstantin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 am No, that's bad. Imagine, for my part I need an endmill, drill and a tap. Now, if I create some template for that, export it, then it will cause tool changing marathon in the program beginning. That's absolutely insane.
You should have tested this before posting. Not doing so might be called insane as well. Selecting all the tools at the beginning is an equivalent of taking them out of their storage and placing them near the machine, and not putting them into the spindle one after another.
If I could at least create templates with tools and other operations (and then attach needed faces in every operation by hand), it would be a bit better, but it's still not a solution.
Please keep in mind that we are talking about templates. For such a use case it might be better to start with a copy of an existing project.
Machines are needed. Postprocessor must be tied to the machine, tooltable must be tied to machine.
And here we are together again, at least pretty close. Although I have to confess that I have only one machine (yet!) and I didn't miss it.
Tooltable must be in separate file, not in user.conf, one tooltable for one machine, every machine in separate file.
Ever tried export and import of tooltables?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:13 am You should have tested this before posting. Not doing so might be called insane as well. Selecting all the tools at the beginning is an equivalent of taking them out of their storage and placing them near the machine, and not putting them into the spindle one after another.
Ah.... Sorry... I should never postit before trying it
I should never postit before trying it
I should never postit before trying it
I should never postit before trying it... :)
Please keep in mind that we are talking about templates. For such a use case it might be better to start with a copy of an existing project.
Sometimes I do it like this.
Ever tried export and import of tooltables?
hm... Have you ever tried to export/import back and forth in every second project? I have to cut part with plasma, then mill and drill it. Or mill on one machine, and drill on other. Two (or more) machines per part. let's say I have to program 100 different parts (different mills, different drills).

I am slowly learning with python, c++ and Qt to do something myself, I understand that my wishes not needed to anyone but me.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Your input as a professional is most valuable. All I require from the programming side now is a sound basis of concepts and correct and complete generation of paths (and we are almost there!). All other things like comfortable GUI and such are most welcome, but currently they are somewhat nice-to-have.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 am Your input as a professional is most valuable. All I require from the programming side now is a sound basis of concepts and correct and complete generation of paths (and we are almost there!). All other things like comfortable GUI and such are most welcome, but currently they are somewhat nice-to-have.
It's ok, I understand, that most users of FreeCADs Path have only one machine, and most of them do not have a toolchange mechanism at all, so, it's up to me to implement what I want.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Konstantin wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 pm It's ok, I understand, that most users of FreeCADs Path have only one machine, and most of them do not have a toolchange mechanism at all, so, it's up to me to implement what I want.
Oh come on!
You are either implying that we don't care about your requirements or that we don't understand them.

I think everyone here is committed to making FreeCAD and Path a great application for both hobbyists AND professional/commercial use. We've put a lot of effort into designing a solid foundation knowing it has to work well in a mutli-machine environment and workflow.

If there's something in your requirements that we're not seeing, then it's on you to explain it better. So far, I haven't heard anything that isn't covered by the current design.
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

sliptonic wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:55 pm Oh come on!
You are either implying that we don't care about your requirements or that we don't understand them.
Oh... people... I don't push someone to do something I need, not crying that I am alone and nobody cares of me, and I don't think that I am smartest in the world (or even smartest in my shop). You get me wrong!!! Maybe it's because of my English skills, or maybe because of my brain again (I told before, I have a problem with my head, so sometimes I just can't explain so people understand me)

So, please, forgive me if I hurt someone. I didn't want to. I am rereading my messages and I don't understand, why you get me wrong? Seriously, I don't get it.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Just to be clear, you can create as many ToolControllers in your job as you want, a ToolController is not the same as a TOOL_CHANGE command, it's just a resource.

Once you actually reference a ToolController in an operation then Path will insert a ToolChange command (M6) before the start of that operation. It is up to the post processor to suppress M6 commands for the same tool that has already been loaded for the previous operation - in case your controller isn't smart enough to ignore those.