Change to M6 command

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

Change to M6 command

Post by mlampert »

I need to make a change to the M6 Path.Command to include all speeds defined in the ToolController as parameters.

I checked all post processors we have and it's not gonna be an issue except for phillips_post.py (I've contacted the original author to deal with that). All other post processors either ignore M6 entirely, ignore all parameters of M6 or just care about parameter 'T'.

In case you have your own post processor running, make sure M6 processing is resilient to arbitrary parameters. This is actually a general guideline - a post processor should only add to the output stream what it has explicitly processed - and never rely on the similarity between Path.Command and g-code!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Change to M6 command

Post by sliptonic »

Let's also start a wiki page about writing/modifying post professors and include that excellent tip.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Let's also start a wiki page about writing/modifying post professors and include that excellent tip.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 pm Let's also start a wiki page about writing/modifying post professors and include that excellent tip.
That is an excellent idea - we should also include (document) the actual Path.Command names and their parameters that are used (and the FC version they were introduced/deprecated ....).
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

I am the one, who's breaking all the postprocessing writing rules :)

Can you point me, where this change is made in the code, in witch branch, and where is leading to? I/m still don't have what to do while lying in the bed under thepills :)
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Konstantin wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:04 am Can you point me, where this change is made in the code, in witch branch, and where is leading to? I/m still don't have what to do while lying in the bed under thepills :)
As it turned out I didn't need to make the change after all - so I decided to hold off on it for the time being. Sometime in the future we will have to rethink our current Path.Command structure and I'll pick it up again at that point.