Copy Holding Tags to another profile?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
reox

Copy Holding Tags to another profile?

Post by reox »

I like to create paths for roughing and finishing. Therefore i set the offset of the first countour to something like 0.25mm, and then a contour with full depth and offset of zero. I also swapped the direction from CW to CCW for better surface finish.
The Problem is now, that the holding tags are not at the same position.
path3.jpeg
path3.jpeg (101.13 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
What you can do, is to note down all positions of the holding tags and edit them into the new dressup. I bet you could also write a macro to do the same thing...
Is there any simple way to do this?

I attached an example for it, it is basically some form to test this operation, nothing special.

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11919 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: fccb5dbc87b919164610296adc96aa8b4fe4825e
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Austria (de_AT)
Attachments
pathtester.fcstd
(50.78 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Copy Holding Tags to another profile?

Post by mlampert »

This is a great use case - never thought of it. Currently there is no direct support for that but you can copy the tag positions manually from one dressup to the other, and if you use the same parameters for height, width etc you should end up with matching tags. Assuming TagDressup is the original:

App.ActiveDocument.TagDressup001.Positions = App.ActiveDocument.TagDressup.Positions
I'm wondering - do you always want a full clone is there reason to modify the parameters of the second dressup? I can imagine that you might want more tags for roughing and then on the finer work eliminate some of them (the remaining ones still have to match). Should this be its own dressup? like a tag-clone? Would there ever be a case where you wouldn't want to match tags when you have 2 profiles on the same face or edges?
Attachments
pathtester.fcstd
(51.62 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

Wouldn't it be better to make holding tags a separate object and use it everywhere you need? Or even add ability to use user defined object as holding tag?
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

You can have a lot of holding tags on different profiles in a single job. Attached is a panel sheet I recently machined.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (112 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
One of the reasons why tags are a dressup is because that way they can be inserted into any type of profile without additional coding effort. The other reason is because this way the profile path generation is a lot simpler. It is touchy enough to get a straight profile as it is but if we were to add tag support to it as well the opportunities for something to go astray increase significantly.

So for now the dressup approach is probably the best solution we have - but I definitely see value in supporting the use of the same tags on different profiles - I'm just not sure how to best implement that.
Last edited by mlampert on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reox

Post by reox »

mlampert wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:09 pm This is a great use case - never thought of it. Currently there is no direct support for that but you can copy the tag positions manually from one dressup to the other, and if you use the same parameters for height, width etc you should end up with matching tags. Assuming TagDressup is the original:

App.ActiveDocument.TagDressup001.Positions = App.ActiveDocument.TagDressup.Positions
This looks good! Maybe have a button to copy/paste the positions directly? Or inside the holding tags setup, present the user with a menu of already set holding tags?
mlampert wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:09 pm I'm wondering - do you always want a full clone is there reason to modify the parameters of the second dressup? I can imagine that you might want more tags for roughing and then on the finer work eliminate some of them (the remaining ones still have to match). Should this be its own dressup? like a tag-clone? Would there ever be a case where you wouldn't want to match tags when you have 2 profiles on the same face or edges?
Thats a good question :D All I ever did was either milling parts with external clamping, thus no holding tags where needed, or I would do roughing and finishing with the same tags.
Does anyone know how other CAM products make that? If I remember correctly, Fusion seperates the holding tags from paths, so you first create the tags, then create a path on it? But maybe you want to have tags on roughing and remove them on finishing (maybe you got a vacuum plate or something), so I would not make them fixed to the body.
Tag clone might be a good idea, so the two dressups have always the same values - I can not think of a situation where I would use different settings for roughing and finishing.
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

mlampert wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 pm Capture.PNG
?
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Konstantin wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:53 pm
mlampert wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 pm Capture.PNG
?
No idea what happened there - reattached the file and it seems to work now - thanks for pointing that out :oops:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:15 pm No idea what happened there - reattached the file and it seems to work now
It almost looks like a chicken coop!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.