CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Post by shaise »

Hi JoshM

Sorry for the late reply,
Yes, G/s is gcodes per second
and the accuracy percentage is the resolution of the simulation. The simulation is done by deviding the stock object to voxels. Say a stock is a square material, a 1% accuracy means a simulation of 100 x 100 voxels. a 0.1% means an 1000 x 1000 simulation.

shai
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi Shaise,
I have read here that you are busy at the moment, so there is probably no chance to get the error fixed tha no material is taken away in the simulation. But would it be possible to revert the the last change you made, so that we can create an animated gif for the documentation?

If you don't have the time to fix it before 0.17 is out we should revert it anyway.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi chrisb,

The changes are not mine, so its hard for me to know what to revert. I'll try to look at it this evening.
Are you saying that now the simulation does not work at all?
Can you post a sample fcstd with the simulation you wish to gif?

shai
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

shaise wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 am Are you saying that now the simulation does not work at all?
The simulation window opens, I can adjust the parameters, when I start the simulation the tool moves as expected. However, it does not take off any material.
shaise wrote: Can you post a sample fcstd with the simulation you wish to gif?
Of course, it is the example from my walk-through in the documentation. Give me a minute, I wanted to upload it there anyway. If I don't succeed, I'll upload it here.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

shaise wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 am Can you post a sample fcstd with the simulation you wish to gif?
Here I am again, it is only possible to upload image files.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13050 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 305a567)
Hash: 305a567819522a336bd16a6c694772be2f56af47
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
squarePocket.fcstd
(21.26 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
bill

Post by bill »

Chris, let me know of changes you wish
Peek 2018-01-21 11-59.gif
Peek 2018-01-21 11-59.gif (293.95 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bill wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 pm Chris, let me know of changes you wish
Thank you very much, I integrated it in the walk-through as well as in the Path Simulator documentation.

Did you create the animation with an old version or is there a fix?

And a last question: When I end the simulation and hit the Ok button the artificially created simulation stock object stays in the tree. If the simulation is not finished it even obstructs the object and the paths. Is this intenden behaviour? It seems to me that only the cancel button makes sense, so I would remove the "Ok" and rename "Cancel" to "Close".
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi @chrisb

I'm trying to get in touch with the guy who added the latest changes. Hopefully he will fix it, if not, I will get into it myself

Hi @bill,

Did you use the latest build to get the simulation right? if so did you touch the model file?
shaise

Post by shaise »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm I integrated it in the walk-through as well as in the Path Simulator documentation.

And a last question: When I end the simulation and hit the Ok button the artificially created simulation stock object stays in the tree. If the simulation is not finished it even obstructs the object and the paths. Is this intenden behaviour? It seems to me that only the cancel button makes sense, so I would remove the "Ok" and rename "Cancel" to "Close".
Hi Chrisb,

Thanks for the documentation!
Yes, the OK/Cancel system is intended. If you want to save the results of the simulation for later reference, press OK, if not, Cancel. Unfortunately, I can not keep the dual color object as in the simulation itself, as freecad supports only a single color for mesh objects. (for the simulation I cheat - I hold 2 separate mesh objects for the 2 colors. but these are non manifold (each have holes where the other dont) so I cant keep them.
bill

Post by bill »

Since your there, shais, off-the-cuff, would it be difficult to tilt the view window slightly by a few degrees; it provides a much improved presentation at least in the axonometric view; from what I am viewing!