CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Post by chrisb »

shaise wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 am Thank you for your effort. If you can, please add (in better english then me) that:
1. for interactive simulation, reducing accuracy to 0.3 works much faster
2. if you just want to see the end result, pressing the fast forward button makes it really fast even for complicated paths.
Thanks for the hints, I added it only to the Simulation page not to the walk-through, which I want to keep as concise as possible.
As for my english: I'm not a native speaker either.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
flopsy

Post by flopsy »

Hi shaise,
i know you are busy at moment...
I just have a idea: (not sure, if it is mention before)
Is it easy possible to make a checkbox for "cut no material" ? to simple move the tool along the path?

-I read and test that now the "tool cutting edge angle" matters and tested it:
shaise wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 am This is not his issue. To make the simulation work, just go to the tool and set the cutting angle to 180.

- now someone has changed, so is not allowed to have an angle more than 90 deg for some reason.
- the simulation with 60 degree now is working fine, but very slow ...(no cpu overload , no memory overload)
- it seems is under heavy develop right now, and is normal that it has strange behavior at moment, right?
if not i will report be more details about it, ok ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

flopsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 am Is it easy possible to make a checkbox for "cut no material" ? to simple move the tool along the path?
Before you start the simulation you can switch to the tree view and make the simulation stock invisible, but what is the benefit of this?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
flopsy

Post by flopsy »

The idea of the benefit behind this is:
1. to raw check the order of the operation is correct ( the z-axis often use the same path so it overlaps and impossible to do it visual or with mouse-over.)
2.for big files to make it without heavy calculation need ( memory / cpu overload prevented)
cheers
Chris
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Flopsy,

The simulation itself is very fast, only the visualization of the material takes time. (until I find a better solution)
You have two options:
1. Press the fast forward and see the end result in few seconds.
2. Reduce the accuracy, if you get it down to 1 instead of 0.1 the simulation will be far faster.

shai
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I've added a new ticket in Mantis: https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3358

This is a hard crash of freecad and fully reproducible. Advice?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This discussion continues in a new topic on Dressups and Tool Controllers.