Tool Selection?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Re: Tool Selection?

Post by herbk »

Hi Josh,
after exporting the gcode File contends the correct values.
005.jpg
005.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Im not sure, but think to remember, that linuxcnc ignores values for the rapid move and takes allways the values stored in the machine.
Gruß Herbert
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I betcha you're generating your gcode by selecting either the operation or the job and using the File->Export.. menu option.

Try just hitting the post-process button.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

I wouldn't take that bet as I'd lose it... Yes, thanks...

On that file I posted, on the Pocket operation, if I ask for Spiral and drop from 67% down to 33%, Freecad hangs every time...

Thanks,
-Josh
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

JoshM wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 pm On that file I posted, on the Pocket operation, if I ask for Spiral and drop from 67% down to 33%, Freecad hangs every time...
Known bug.
Several of the alternate offset patterns that Path.Area uses are...shall we say....'experimental' Best to stick with zigzag and offset for real work.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Thanks Brad--will do.

Herbk, thanks for your reply. I'm still confused--I get the same as what I posted when I open in GWizard's simulator--am I being dumb?

Regards,
Josh
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

OK--just tried out Path Output and cut some Delrin. I separated out Facing and Cutting to use a 3/8" bit for facing, a 3/16" for pocketing, helixing, drilling... The result isn't bad--I didn't run break anything in hardware at least....

Couple notes:
1. Facing operation would miss the first pass if I didn't extend the Material Allowance from 4mm to 8mm. You can see the missing first pass in Freecad, I just didn't notice it...

2. The final pocket cut is wrong on the 2nd pocket I did, but correct on the first... It misses a pass.

3. I wanted to pocket a floor depth, then helix holes into it, but with because the holes exist in the 3d-model, the pocket operation cuts around them, leaving a fraction of a mill column. Did I miss the intended method to allow me to sweep over the holes that I want to cut after pocketing? In this case, I helixed first to clear that spot, then pocketed....

Attached is a picture showing the missing pass and the remainders around the helix hole...

Not bad for first try. Thanks for the hard work and help with driving.

Regards,
Josh
Attachments
Freecad_Path_Result_000.jpg
Freecad_Path_Result_000.jpg (75.32 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Josh,
which postprozesser did you select?
I'm wondering, if i export the gcode i get shown a .tab extension for the file. Linuxcnc uses .ngc, but with a own file i got no extension preselectet.
Gruß Herbert
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Hi Herb,
I used LinuxCNC as the post processor. My guess is I'm veering away from intended use somehow.
Thanks,
Josh
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Josh,

intended by the preselcted .tap file extension i get if e try to save gcode from your FC file, im in mind: there is something wrong with your installation...
Gruß Herbert
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

JoshM wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:33 pm I used LinuxCNC as the post processor. My guess is I'm veering away from intended use somehow.
Josh,

I doubt that you are "veering". I never see an offered extension when I use the linuxcnc postprocessor. I always need to add the .ngc to my files. I do not believe any of the postprocessors automatically provide an extension. No big deal.

The behavior you are seeing with the pocket operation reflects the long-standing traditional method. In the past pocket operations would always keep the entire cutter inside the bottom flat surface. The result was missing corners and missing holes. An open-ended slot would not be fully completed by a pocket operation, for example.

There have been a huge number of changes recently to allow extensions and other modifications so that a lot more "cleanout" is now possible. Be sure to keep up with the latest versions on a very frequent basis.

Gene