GeneFC wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:38 pm
The newly named "3D pocket" does indeed clear out the entire pocket area. I am a bit confused, since I believe this is supposed to be the old-style pocket, and the new pocket operation is the one that should have the flexibility to clear more than just the exact bottom face.
That is correct - except that the "3D Pocket" operation is the old pocket operation, and the "Pocket Shape" operation is the new one. What Pocket Shape brings back is the way the original Pocket operation from several months ago operated before we switched to using Path.Area.
I struggle a bit to clarify with all the "new" and "old". From a timeline perspective it looks like this:
* a long time ago we had "Pocket" which just milled everything above all the selected faces
* along came Path.Area which made a lot of functionality accessible
* all operations got moved over to use Path.Area
- during this process the behaviour of Pocket changed silently because it used the actual shape of the model as input for the operation, the two most noticeable consequences were:
- FinalDepth could no longer get manually modified
- Anything surrounded by the selected faces got pocketed as well
* while Pocket now worked nicely like a 3D roughing operation it caused issues where one wanted controlled pocketing
* we renamed Pocket to '3D Pocket' and moved it into a '3D Tools' group, together with '3D Surface' - and also gave it a new icon
* we created a new op called 'Pocket Shape' which only generates paths for the actually selected faces
I guess one of the potential confusions I absolutely underestimated was the creation of a new operation in the same place as the old operation with the same icon as the old operation - but still keep the old operation accessible at a different location in the toolbar with a new icon. The rational was that most would want the behaviour of the new operation so using the old icon and location in the toolbar would cause the least amount of "surprises".