Couple of potential bugs...

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Re: Couple of potential bugs...

Post by herbk »

Hi,
hm, on my installations (OpenSuse and AppImage) i don't get a drilling path at all, no matter what i'm selecting...

AppImage is:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12697 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 8bbcfd6dce297917f39452392dc9e5722f95d7cb
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

OpenSuse:

Version: 0.17.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.13
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.2.0
Gruß Herbert
Joel Stienlet

Post by Joel Stienlet »

Hello Herbert,
Apparently this patch has not been merged in the master yet.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/commits/master
But you can use the patch https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1134 to fix these two files.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Joel Stienlet wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:27 pm
N.B. a reasonable mismatch between tool and theoretical diameter should be allowed I think, as you don't always have the precise tool in the shop. Not everybody has anyway. And sometimes larger is better than smaller (ex: through hole component in a PCB). The best would be to specify tolerances +- while defining the geometry, and then check if the tool matches these tolerances. I don't know if there's something like this, I'm still new at FreeCAD, I haven't tested all the features yet...
hey... we are talking about drilling, - and working with cnc machines...
your suggestion sounds very unproffesionell for me....

In my mind a drilling operation should only work if the selected tool fits with the hole to drill, or, for center drills, with a smaler tool as the hole diameter. ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
Joel Stienlet

Post by Joel Stienlet »

I mostly agree ;) but sometimes I've to make a hole with not that tight tolerances, or sometimes you want to tap (not a critical thread) and you don't have that specific 7.3mm drill for this M8 thread, and you just drill it 7.5mm... I do that sometimes, but not very professional I agree ;)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I think it would be a huge mistake to even consider a tolerance as large as 0.2 mm.

FreeCAD mostly works with floating point, and there are a number of examples on the forum where rounding errors at a very small level can cause problems, some due to FreeCAD code and some due to OCC code. However, the tolerance needed to correct for those problems is measured with a lot more zeros after the decimal (or comma).

Tolerance for shop choices should not be built in to FreeCAD. If that is needed for successful completion of a machining operation then the user should be responsible for creating any custom features or tools.

(I do that sort of custom adjustment frequently. :D )

Gene
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

When I used Sheetcam with 2d CAD, drilling ops did allow a +/- tolerance--I think it defaulted to about 5-10%, then could be overwritten. I don't see it as particularly helpful, and since Path allows modification of the Tool settings in the Tool-Controller, it's just as easy to fake it out there. Or, you could modify your 3d model to match your available tools, or buy more tools, or use helix ops with smaller tools to achieve your existing model. I don't mean that to be flip, just to point out the various options, as I find I myself sometimes artificially constrain myself, or make my job harder for arbitrary reasons--like filleting to Tool radius when the job could allow larger... etc....

Regards,
Josh
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Back to the original problem, I can confirm the issue.
I tried with an all-in-PDN model as well thus omitting the cumbersome BaseFeature but to no avail. I am not even getting as far as the OP, when I try to edit the drill operation I get only the transform tool, which probably means that it is not properly initialized.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Nice try and - you almost got me ;)

The only faces supported by PathUtils.isDrillable are the cylinder face of holes. Selection of the base/bottom face of a hole was never supported.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:01 pm Nice try and - you almost got me ;)

The only faces supported by PathUtils.isDrillable are the cylinder face of holes. Selection of the base/bottom face of a hole was never supported.
That's what thought would be the problem in the first place, but I don't know how Joel Stienlet got that far. Please delete the drill operation and try to recreate it. That fails here.

Version: 0.17.12754 (Git)
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1cfae46)
Hash: 1cfae464b4af12c5483c2495fae360bbf3b4c0cd
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
roivai

Post by roivai »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:22 pm That's what thought would be the problem in the first place, but I don't know how Joel Stienlet got that far. Please delete the drill operation and try to recreate it. That fails here.

Version: 0.17.12754 (Git)
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1cfae46)
Hash: 1cfae464b4af12c5483c2495fae360bbf3b4c0cd
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Does this build already include mlampert's PR1134? I just built after that PR was merged and I am able to create Drill OP again.. Even though I get some error messages:

Code: Select all

PathOpGui.ERROR: Please select features of a solid
Version: 0.17.12756 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 30c1b2a5a17edb55cae049cf84c4ff98209e2d12
Python version: 2.7.9