GCode Error generated in Pocket_3D operation.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JoshM

Re: GCode Error generated in Pocket_3D operation.

Post by JoshM »

Hi Chrisb,
Thanks--as always--for your attention, and helpful responses.

I reworked a next version model of that job and made sure to check the Dependency Graph as I added to the model. I made sure to before beginning Path that my Dependency Graph was good. I then added Operations to the Job, and at some point, the Dependency-Graph can't even complete. I made sure to do the entire model and Path in most up to date version of FC, though I did have to use version 431 to get some of the Operations to work at all, and then added that to Custom-GCode in my Job...

That project is uploaded at: https://ln.sync.com/dl/703870e60/6suhi2 ... t-ffesyjym if it's of any help... I also included the Model, as it was, just prior to adding FC-Path Job/Operations. I also tried outputting a STEP file from it and working with that but no love there either.... The Model only is uploaded at: https://ln.sync.com/dl/703870e60/6suhi2 ... t-ffesyjym

If I strip some of the Path Tools, and Operations, the Dependency-Graph returns, and appears good---as in no circular dependencies...

Overall, I really like the improvements to Path. Once I'm able to get it to do Facing on slightly-complex jobs such as this one without resorting to tricks, this is going to be incredible!

Best Regards,
Josh

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12595 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8c7bb0cd551cf11551ff71d716a16211c6d5e13d
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Last edited by JoshM on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 pm I then added Operations to the Job, and at some point, the Dependency-Graph can't even complete.
I think I read here about the Dependency Graph having problems in some cases. I will have a look at your model tomorrow.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Your model still has problems bejond path: If you make a RecomputeAll the model still breaks. The last but one feature, Groove-PickoutPourOrificeBallnoseFinish seems to be ok, but the last sketch, Sketch-ExternalContourCuts, is not mapped correctly after the recompute. That means most probably that some faces must have changed after your creation of the Path Objects.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Hi Chris,
Thanks. I'm confused a bit though. I opened the model I used--as saved before Path-WB Job was added--and marked for ReCompute, and performed, and I see no error messages on any of the objects in the body of the model. The Dependency-Graph shows as fine as well.

After dinking around with it for a bit, I think I see what you're driving at--shown in attached Screenshot... This only happens if I mark the Model's label under Application for Recompute. What is the distinction is between Selecting this, the Body, or the final High-Lighted Object in the Tree when marking for Recompute? It's confusing to me.

BTW, no changes to the model were made after Path-Job began--I believed the model I generated was valid because I saw no errors in Dependency-Graph, or on the Tree, and was unaware the distinction of where I marked the recompute. It seems possible, this is the fundamental issue I've been facing using latest versions of FC Path...

EDIT: Probably not so much. I had saved iterations of that project, so went back two versions and found where Recompute All doesn't break my model, added Path, attempted, Face Operation, but it's not a fix. Still, I appreciate knowing I need to better monitor the model going forward...

Thanks Again,
Josh

Attachments
FC_Recomputed.jpg
FC_Recomputed.jpg (179.22 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I tried playing with the model, and it completely blew up, just as Chris said. I think what has happened is that some changes have been made in the PDN attachment method over the past couple of weeks. Any recent model needs to be further processed *only* with the exact version of FC that it was created with or strange things happen. I had the same sort of problems with some of my own models.

My current version of FC is not the same as the version shown inside the FCStd file, so nothing worked correctly.

This is outside of the Path workbench, and it does not appear to be due to anything recently done by mlampert and others.

Gene
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

chrisb wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 pm
JoshM wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 pm I then added Operations to the Job, and at some point, the Dependency-Graph can't even complete.
I think I read here about the Dependency Graph having problems in some cases. I will have a look at your model tomorrow.
Hi Chrisb,
I am reworking this job and have a CLEAN model. I have found where I can break the Dependency-Graph in a reproducible way--though as it's 3rd party software, I'm not clear if this is of interest. I uploaded a file: https://ln.sync.com/dl/ed80d5a50/8sgemy ... 7-57rt6xih It has the Dependency-Graph broken, and it's in the last Operation, the Profile-Faces. It happens when I added in Base-Body.Face.131 and 132. Same happens if I grab the top faces of those cylinders. Also, same happens if I select Profile Based On Edges. I need to add those in to exclude the bit from cutting into them, and Path does that correctly, but the DG breaks down...

This appears to happen in any case where I select multiple objects to Contour. I went on to add a cut around those two front cylinders, and it breaks, but if I make two operations, each targeting a different Base-Geometry, there is no problem...

Also, DogBone-Dressup and Drilling Operation has same effect.

Thanks Gene. I'm using only one version testing this out--appreciated amigo...

Best,
Josh

russ.northrup

Post by russ.northrup »

JoshM:

The z-only g-code is the same error I encounter when the tool width matches the width of a pocket.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25396

Perhaps we are seeing different faces of the same problem?

Russ

[edit]

Does your tool match the width of the cut?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm I uploaded a file: https://ln.sync.com/dl/ed80d5a50/8sgemy ... 7-57rt6xih
The link is broken. I am afraid it is again a complicated model. Can you reproduce it with a simple file?
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

I'll try. I was super careful walking that model though, ensuring zero errors with Recompute All step by step. Path is generally much more workable with this model, but the Dependency Graph can't generate an image under the cases I mentioned--Path-WB is generating correct outputs...

Now that I'm able to use updated version, I'm confused by choice on 3D-Pocket lockout on Final depth. How do I do a Roughing operation with a large tool, leaving say 0.25 mm, allowing me to generate a separate Finish operation with a smaller tool? Am I misunderstanding the Setup variables, or is it a temporary restriction, or was that option cut off because that workflow wasn't considered?

Best Regards,
Josh
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can use a different tool controller and add another pocket with appropriate heights and depths. However currently you have to do this by hand, there is no automatism for a tool controller change in the middle of a pocket generation. I can live with it because you have to retract the tool anyway to change it.