GCode Error generated in Pocket_3D operation.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JoshM

Re: GCode Error generated in Pocket_3D operation.

Post by JoshM »

I was trying to do what you are describing--not what you thought I meant--but the first operation I define has the Final-Depth locked. I can set the Start Depth, and the Finish-Depth, but the Final-Depth is taken from my model and I can't override it...

Regards,
-j
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 amI can set the Start Depth, and the Finish-Depth, but the Final-Depth is taken from my model and I can't override it...
You can click on the blue f(x) symbol to the right and edit the expression.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

It's disabled. I downloaded at home, same behavior...
-Josh

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12595 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8c7bb0cd551cf11551ff71d716a16211c6d5e13d
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
Pocket3D.jpg
Pocket3D.jpg (178.91 KiB) Viewed 906 times
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

I made a simple example as you'd mentioned Chrisb. I made sure to Recompute-All at each step, and to look at the Dependency-Graph at each step. Weirdly, the D-G can't draw if I add a tool in to the Job--no idea on that. If I add the Profile-Faces Operation, the D-G can draw again. Recompute-All shows no errors. If I add more Base-Geometry to that Operation, I see same as I mention before on more complex model, I made today at work... I I reduce the Base-Geometry to a single item, the D-G is able to draw again. Again, Path works, no issues there, but it seems quirky. I only mention it/follow up in hopes that it may be helpful feedback, not because it's holding me up...

Regards,
Josh
Attachments
DependencyGraphError.jpg
DependencyGraphError.jpg (129.23 KiB) Viewed 903 times
FreeCad_Example_FIle_000.FCStd
(25.23 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am It's disabled. I downloaded at home, same behavior...
Sorry, I was thinking about Pocket allthough it states clearly in the title that you talk about Pocket_3D :oops: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:33 am I made a simple example
Many thanks for that, there are not so many developers and they create unpaid this wonderful software; so we should try to reduce their workload as far as possible.

However, I downloaded the file FreeCad_Example_FIle_000.FCStd and I can create the dependency graph, even if I add another tool. Did I miss something?
It worked with 0.17.12589 as well as with the version below. You may try to delete or move your config files: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... rt_anymore. If the problem persists, can other windows users verify?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12608 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 36301ff)
Hash: 36301ff67b6e165bddbabe5b63be0d90dd296cde
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Thanks Chris--no problem. And, agreed on the amazing work done here by the Development team! I hope my feedback is helpful. I'm actively using this for work so have the opportunity to really work with the software tools. My duties at work have also involved testing our software over the last couple of decades, so I'm glad to try to help with that.

I meant that happened with D-G when I added the Tool-Controller initially--no operations yet. It also occurs for multiple Body-Geometry included in that operation.

Best Regards,
Josh
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

For what it's worth, I had many crashes and failures with GraphViz 2.38. I dropped back to GraphViz 2.36 and never saw another problem.

The GraphViz folks have basically abandoned Windows support. I think 2.38 is buggy, but it will get no attention. It does not appear that newer vesions (2.40+) have any Windows executables available at all.

I cannot see any difference in performance or output from 2.36 compared to 2.38. I don't know what was updated, but GraphViz is a much bigger project than the part seen in FreeCAD use, so the changes may not be important in our application.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FreeCAD uses the program named "dot" from the GraphViz package. You can find out which version it is by executing the command

Code: Select all

dot -V
from a command line (the "V" is a capital). I too have version 2.36.0. and no problems.