Tool Manager Suggestion(s)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
JoshM

Tool Manager Suggestion(s)

Postby JoshM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi,
I just spent some time organizing my Tools using the Tool-Manager, and it highlighted a few areas I believe would have improved utility with a few changes:

Specifically, I noticed that the Current implementation provides buttons for Move-Up, and Move-Down. To use these, the Tool must be selected, then the Button pressed. If you need to move it from the bottom to top of list of twenty tools, you have to repeat this twenty times. Since all new tools are appended at the bottom, this happens, and it gets worse as your library grows...

I also note that as exists, as you move the Tool up the list, it displaces the tools from their pre-existing order, so all tools are now moved down by one in their Numbering...

Another quirk is that theirs a box to select for creating Tool-Controllers, but to select for ordering in the Tool numbers, I select the row, which seems inconsistent.

I suspect the ability to have different Tool-Cribs might be helpful for different purposes: For example, I might prefer to have my Ballnose, Chamfer, Drills, and Square Endmills separate.

Best Regards,
Josh
chrisb

Re: Tool Manager Suggestion(s)

Postby chrisb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 pm

JoshM wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm
To use these, the Tool must be selected, then the Button pressed. If you need to move it from the bottom to top of list of twenty tools, you have to repeat this twenty times. Since all new tools are appended at the bottom, this happens, and it gets worse as your library grows...
I had mentioned this before, but I cannot find the post. If I want to reorder tools I rather do it in a good editor on the exported file.
I also note that as exists, as you move the Tool up the list, it displaces the tools from their pre-existing order, so all tools are now moved down by one in their Numbering...
Isn't that the reason for the ordering? I think it is ok, because it doesn't affect existing projects.
Last edited by chrisb on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshM

Re: Tool Manager Suggestion(s)

Postby JoshM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 am

I think I misstated that Chrisb. Agree it's good to have it push tools down generally. I had an instance where I had a gap near the top, and 10+ tools below the gap. As I moved Tools up, all Tools below the gap were pushed further down...

I also made the mistake of using " in my Tool name to distinguish tool lengths where I have multiple options-1/8" endmills at 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", and 1" for example. I think that leads to an unwrapped end of string activity as it causes corruption of defined Tool-Controllers. Names, numbers cut off, numbers index to 0.

I exported the Tool-Library and opened it in Open-Office Calc. I'll take another stab at that. I was intimidated by the layout I think.

Best,
Josh