GRBL new post processor with drill cycles G81..G83

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
topcyde

Re: GRBL new post processor with drill cycles G81..G83

Post by topcyde »

sliptonic wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:58 pm What is the rationale for maintaining both a grbl and a grbl_g81 post processor?
To control the output for different machines/FW versions. At least until there's an option in the path operations to control the post output as either G-Code or machine cycle.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

topcyde wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:09 pm
sliptonic wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:58 pm What is the rationale for maintaining both a grbl and a grbl_g81 post processor?
To control the output for different machines/FW versions. At least until there's an option in the path operations to control the post output as either G-Code or machine cycle.
I don't understand. The regular grbl post produces canned cycles but AFAIK no grbl firmware can use them. So everybody should be using this variant.
What functionality differs between the two that is valid?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Also, I don't use grbl but I would be very confused that the post called grbl_g81.py is the one that specifically does NOT produce G81. :D

I would also suggest that it's overkill and confusing to have two arguments. --translate_drill and --no-translate_drill. It's more intuitive to have a single argument that does something and the absence of the argument does the other/default condition.

So if this can be merged with the regular grbl post, the default condition should be to translate the canned cycles and a flag --use-canned-cycles would suppress this and produce the regular G81/G83 moves.

Just me two cents.
Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

Hi all,

I agree with you Sliptonic, especially since the option to use drill cycles conversion or not (--translate_drill (by default) / --no-translate_drill) already exists... And without argument, drill cycles are translated. Then, the --translate_drill can be ignored... I can remove it if you want :)
In fact, I proposed the new name grbl_G81 on my first push to not impose my solution whereas a post processor for Grbl already existed.
So I'm going to push the merge of latest version of grbl_G81 with the name of the main post processor grbl_post.py quickly.

@++;
Gauthier.
Last edited by Gauthier on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

It can be argued that it is a bit redundant but this is typical of the way ./configure and make work on Linux/Unix.

It allows one to specify explicitly what you want rather than having to check on what the default state is to imply it.

also many compiler switches work like that : -fomit-frame-pointer -fnoomit-frame-pointer

The merge obviously makes sense. Nice initiative.
Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

We could put to the vote the choice to keep the two options or to delete the default one...
topcyde

Post by topcyde »

Gauthier wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:29 pm Hi all,

I agree with you Sliptonic, especially since the option to use drill cycles conversion or not (--translate_drill (by default) / --no-translate_drill) already exists... And without argument, drill cycles are translated. Then, the --translate_drill can be ignored... I can remove it if you want :)
In fact, I proposed the new name grbl_G81 on my first push to not impose my solution whereas a post processor for Grbl already existed.
So I'm going to push the merge of latest version of grbl_G81 with the name of the main post processor grbl_post.py quickly.

@++;
Gauthier.
I prefer the one post, I just hadn't read through it to see the option available. I would agree this is the better method.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

since the other args do not have negated forms, it is probably clearer to be consistent.
Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

Hi all,

PR made this morning (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2255) to replace the old grbl_post.py by the new grbl_G81 one.

For the moment, I have kept the arguments as they are. The other arguments from the old grbl_post also have their positive and negative form whatever the default option.

@++;
Gauthier.
graham2550

Re: grble-5X control panel

Post by graham2550 »

Can I use this on windows 10 and if so how do I install it and run it.
Thanks