GRBL new post processor with drill cycles G81..G83

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
freman

Re: GRBL new post processor with drill cycles G81..G83

Postby freman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Yes, a post processor preferences and options panel is a good idea.

I've solved the situation for my case by modifying the source since I'm building it. But a more general solution would be good.

@+.
freman

Postby freman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 pm

mlampert wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:11 pm
Out of curiosity I checked the history and it seems those preferences had their 3rd anniversary 3 days ago - they were added 2016-10-23 :D
I'm not entirely sure what you are meaning by that comment but it sounds like you are saying what Gautier suggested is already present.

He was suggesting an options panel ( presumably a kind of checkbox thing for the binary choice options ) . At the moment, all there is an edit box where you can type in kind of command line option. You need to continually configure this every time you create a job which is quite a drag.

I even find continually needing to select my post processor on every single job a drag. There is little chance I'm flipping constantly from one machine to another needing different PPs each time. Pre-filling the choice with the last used PP would be a nice trivial feature mod that would make the work flow easier. If any typed options could also be made persistent that would get around some of the need for a panel ( though not having to dig around to find the exact text required would still be a plus for a gui approach ).
mlampert

Postby mlampert » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:58 pm

freman wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 pm
mlampert wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:11 pm
Out of curiosity I checked the history and it seems those preferences had their 3rd anniversary 3 days ago - they were added 2016-10-23 :D
I'm not entirely sure what you are meaning by that comment but it sounds like you are saying what Gautier suggested is already present.

He was suggesting an options panel ( presumably a kind of checkbox thing for the binary choice options ) . At the moment, all there is an edit box where you can type in kind of command line option. You need to continually configure this every time you create a job which is quite a drag.

I even find continually needing to select my post processor on every single job a drag. There is little chance I'm flipping constantly from one machine to another needing different PPs each time. Pre-filling the choice with the last used PP would be a nice trivial feature mod that would make the work flow easier. If any typed options could also be made persistent that would get around some of the need for a panel ( though not having to dig around to find the exact text required would still be a plus for a gui approach ).
If you would have cared to open up the preferences before getting on your soap box you might have noticed the path output section. But I guess that's too much to ask for these days. Also, I have pointed at the job templates several times before which can also specify the post processor - which can also be set in the preferences. Can't help ya if ya ain't using what's there.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:23 pm

I would second the usage of templates. Invest these 13:25 to watch sliptonic's video or start at least at 5:15 where the templates start. Well prepared templates with tools, filenames, postprocessors including parameters, will save you, let's say, save 1 minute per job. That means that you are on the gaining side after 10 jobs only, That's a fantastic return on investment. And you will make less mistakes.
freman

Postby freman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:26 am

Thanks Chris, that video is a good guide to where to find all this stuff. I will definitely look into setting up templates for toolcontrollers, that is another thing I'm constantly doing repetitively which wastes a lot of time.
freman

Postby freman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:47 am

mlampert wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:58 pm

If you would have cared to open up the preferences before getting on your soap box you might have noticed the path output section. But I guess that's too much to ask for these days. Also, I have pointed at the job templates several times before which can also specify the post processor - which can also be set in the preferences. Can't help ya if ya ain't using what's there.
I was not "getting on my soapbox" I was trying to make a useful suggestion where I thought improvements could be made. I did look at prefs but due to screen size ( I only have 1780x 1240 available ;) ) and poor layout I only see General and Geometry with two thirds of the tab window empty below it. It seems pretty clear that this is all there is on that page.

Having watched Siptonic's video , I realise there should be other content and for some reason the other two tabs are "displayed" out of sight below the 2/3 of empty grey space !!

I guess that this is not the way it is designed and may display better or other platforms or different versions of qt.

If users are not finding this stuff it may be more productive to ask why not rather than shouting a people. It may be that the interface which has evolved piecemeal over time is not optimal, or that modified code is never getting tested properly before getting merged.

The recent breakage of the toolcontroller code which means that default build of FC no longer work at all for Path, is one example which comes to mind.
freman

Postby freman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:57 am

Having used the preference page for Path to set a few options I find this in report view. ( Options do seem to have stuck AFAICT ).

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPreferencesPathJob.py", line 262, in setProcessorListTooltip
    self.setPostProcessorTooltip(self.form.postProcessorList, item.text(), '')
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPreferencesPathJob.py", line 255, in setPostProcessorTooltip
    processor = self.getPostProcessor(name)
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPreferencesPathJob.py", line 249, in getPostProcessor
    processor = PostProcessor.load(name)
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPostProcessor.py", line 49, in load
    exec("import %s as current_post" % postname, namespace) # pylint: disable=exec-used
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts//post/centroid_post.py", line 82, in <module>
    '''.format(__name__, FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.FileName, str(now))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'FileName'
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPreferencesPathJob.py", line 262, in setProcessorListTooltip
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPreferencesPathJob.py", line 255, in setPostProcessorTooltip
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPreferencesPathJob.py", line 249, in getPostProcessor
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathPostProcessor.py", line 49, in load
    exec("import %s as current_post" % postname, namespace) # pylint: disable=exec-used
  File "~/freecad-master-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts//post/centroid_post.py", line 82, in <module>

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17672 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: (HEAD detached at ffb4aa5dc)
Hash: ffb4aa5dcfc0f0b6fb37161fd1c820ade167eb04
Python version: 2.7.16
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
mlampert

Postby mlampert » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 am

My bad, I thought this thread was about grbl.