conclusions (from a first look)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
flopsy

conclusions (from a first look)

Post by flopsy »

Hi, is's been awhile since i take a deeper look into the path-WB. I tried got one eye on it from the beginning, but in that early state It seems not ready to use. I try always try to got one eye on any news in the open-source development in any kind of CAM software. The best way so far my toolchain was Freecad (previously Librecad) -> heekscad -> Linuxcnc. I did google a lot if there are any Path-Wb news. I didn't realized till now that all the new path-wb stuff just is in the dally ppa instead of the 0.17 pre-released app-images and got so far in the past month/year.
Now that i installed the daily version I can't believe my eyes! This is absolute amazing Work its just stunning! There are nearly no more "must have" features on the wish list thinks left open! :o
+ the dogbone Dressup!
I always wished there is a cam having this feature involved somehow. How amazing is this to have not just one style, can't believe it!
+The Ramp entry:
Same as dogbone. I just take me some time to figure out that there is a method option. The Helix method is the right one for me. It feels for me like it should be selected by default. I did search for this method before in the Helix-operating. It seems the Helix-operation can do the same, but normally meant to do as a pocket. I figured out that is normally forbidden in this Operation to do a value > 100 in "step over percent" , but not in the data window (btw there is a "mm" unit instead of a"%" as little bug)
+tag dressed up
AMAZING that this is be done! Its a "must have" any Cam !
+the simulation:
needless to say that REALLY amazing, too! This is so cool check your code instead of camotics (witch is not able to read heekcad style g-code cause of the missing "G1/G2/G3" on every new line btw) or do a not just easy installation of Linuxcnc on your mainsystem.
I just have the problem that is eat all my Memory till it stall for more then a few gcode lines. -> maybe it should warn you to save first.
+Units for Feedrate:
For me, I first wonder to why it is mm/s instead of mm/min than i did read the topic of this. It seems that the option for this a bit of hidden in the main preferences unit section.
For LinuxCNC users maybe it is an option to do some generally variable entry in the g-code like:
#<_Feedrate_for_X_and_Y> = 500
#<_Feedrate_for_Z> = 200
G1 X4.8) Y5.678 F<_Feedrate_for_X_and_Y>
G1 Z-3.66 F#<_Feedrate_for_Z>
I think i can try a bit for it in "linuxcnc_post.py" line "288" try to understand python syntax of this and post my results.
+ cut side:
Is the a reason why the is no Option "on line" besides "inside" and "Outside", this should easy be done ? not very common for milling but for laser or a plotter would be nice to have it.
+ V-carving
as sliptonic mention this would be very great in the future
+ TSP (traveling salesmen Problem) solver
as sliptonic mention this too, would be very great in the future for especially for many holes cutting. This feature is now in "dxf2gcode" and in Python, too. I did not much know what about that license of this code and if this could help to take a look at it.
+ Probe Operations
some probe-operations would be although very great, like "G-Code Ripper" ! Especially for probe a surface of a pcb. Maybe is bit similar to drill operations (go to a xy point and then do a custom g-code like "g38 Z-3" or whatever.) I although have a very special case cause i build with a solder paste dispenser that needs a custom code like this: ( i want to run in with usb 3D-printer flavor instead of LinuxCNC so the o-sub function sadly can not be used in this case)
G0 x(any point) y(2.78) ; go to a point
G1 Z0.300 F10000 ; do some solder paste on it
G1 E0.0 F30
G1 E0.3 F20
G92 E0
G4 P600
G1 Z3.5 F400
+cut throu
I know this is not a great deal an this could easily done manually by set the max-cut-deep, but mostly I want to cut thru an material for example 6mm, so i always need a cut deep, that is bit greater than the Material thickness
+some nice Pictures
In heekscad for example is is so great to have a little pics for explanations. It was mention before in some post. would it be possible?

What work need to be done?
I really wish i could help in some kind for this amazing work. Is there a todo list anywhere? sadly i'm not a programmer (just trying to understand some snipes of code) or, but maybe i can help translate although you surely realize my English is not so good. Maybe I can try to do some tutorial.
greetz
Chris
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: conclusions (from a first look)

Post by sliptonic »

flopsy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 am
+The Ramp entry:
Same as dogbone. I just take me some time to figure out that there is a method option. The Helix method is the right one for me. It feels for me like it should be selected by default. I did search for this method before in the Helix-operating. It seems the Helix-operation can do the same, but normally meant to do as a pocket. I figured out that is normally forbidden in this Operation to do a value > 100 in "step over percent" , but not in the data window (btw there is a "mm" unit instead of a"%" as little bug)
ok. Can you add a mantis bug report for this so it doesn't get lost.
the simulation:
needless to say that REALLY amazing, too! This is so cool check your code instead of camotics (witch is not able to read heekcad style g-code cause of the missing "G1/G2/G3" on every new line btw) or do a not just easy installation of Linuxcnc on your mainsystem.
I just have the problem that is eat all my Memory till it stall for more then a few gcode lines. -> maybe it should warn you to save first.
The simulator is very new functionality. If you have a repeatable performance issue, comment in this thread. Shaise can comment and then open a mantis issue.
+Units for Feedrate:
For me, I first wonder to why it is mm/s instead of mm/min than i did read the topic of this. It seems that the option for this a bit of hidden in the main preferences unit section.
For LinuxCNC users maybe it is an option to do some generally variable entry in the g-code like:
#<_Feedrate_for_Z> = 200
I think i can try a bit for it in "linuxcnc_post.py" line "288" try to understand python syntax of this and post my results.
I don't understand. You tell the postprocessor what units to use with a parameter --inches for imperial. Metric is the default. It will always ouput in mm/min. The feedrate is ALWAYS stored internally in mm/s because those are FreeCAD default units. However, you can make your default input unit mm/min if you like. That's a user preference which is global to FreeCAD and not specific to Path.
+ cut side:
Is the a reason why the is no Option "on line" besides "inside" and "Outside", this should easy be done ? not very common for milling but for laser or a plotter would be nice to have it.
If you want 'on the line' cutting, turn off the 'use-compensation' flag.
+ Probe Operations
some probe-operations would be although very great, like "G-Code Ripper" ! Especially for probe a surface of a pcb. Maybe is bit similar to drill operations (go to a xy point and then do a custom g-code like "g38 Z-3" or whatever.) I although have a very special case cause i build with a solder paste dispenser that needs a custom code like this: ( i want to run in with usb 3D-printer flavor instead of LinuxCNC so the o-sub function sadly can not be used in this case)
G0 x(any point) y(2.78) ; go to a point
G1 Z0.300 F10000 ; do some solder paste on it
G1 E0.0 F30
G1 E0.3 F20
G92 E0
G4 P600
G1 Z3.5 F400
It sounds like several things going on here. This also probably needs more detail and discussion. I've played with a probing a little bit in a macro but I don't have a clear enough idea yet to build an operation.
+cut throu
I know this is not a great deal an this could easily done manually by set the max-cut-deep, but mostly I want to cut thru an material for example 6mm, so i always need a cut deep, that is bit greater than the Material thickness
You can probably get what you want by playing with job templates and customizing the setupsheet.
+some nice Pictures
In heekscad for example is is so great to have a little pics for explanations. It was mention before in some post. would it be possible?
Very possible. The infrastructure to display the pictures in the task panels has already been written. We need someone to do svg images and someone to put in the time to do it. This probably won't make it into the next release but should get some attention after that.
I really wish i could help in some kind for this amazing work. Is there a todo list anywhere? sadly i'm not a programmer (just trying to understand some snipes of code) or, but maybe i can help translate although you surely realize my English is not so good. Maybe I can try to do some tutorial.
Thanks. Anything helps.
There's always things for non-programmers to help with if they're motivated:
Documentation is still a wreck.
The above mentioned images. (Actually these two could probably go together)
etc.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 am
+some nice Pictures
Very possible. The infrastructure to display the pictures in the task panels has already been written. We need someone to do svg images and someone to put in the time to do it. This probably won't make it into the next release but should get some attention after that.
Thanks. Anything helps.
The above mentioned images. (Actually these two could probably go together)
etc.
Hi sliptonic,
that are points where i can jump in also.
For the pics i don't know what you are talking about... I don't have Heeks (and can't install, - dependencie problems), so i don't have a idea what you ere in mind. Maybe you can give me a example (screenshoot)?
For starting with a dokumentation it would be good to know which areas of path are in a stage, that there "workfow" is not changing in a few weeks again. ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
flopsy

Post by flopsy »

Ok, Thanks. In this thread I want to stay focus on my view like a first time user, my issus, thoughts and problems or what it think could be more easy and clear to understand to make it user-friendly and more self explanation.
ok. Can you add a mantis bug report for this so it doesn't get lost.
I am not familiar with this, but i will try it.
The simulator is very new functionality. If you have a repeatable performance issue, comment in this thread. Shaise can comment and then open a mantis issue.
Yes, I did read this thread before. It seems there is no solution for this at moment, except do some warning for this. I will reply on this at that thread.
+Units for Feedrate:
#<_Feedrate_for_Z> = 200

I don't understand. You tell the postprocessor what units to use with a parameter --inches for imperial. Metric is the default. It will always ouput in mm/min. The feedrate is ALWAYS stored internally in mm/s because those are FreeCAD default units. However, you can make your default input unit mm/min if you like. That's a user preference which is global to FreeCAD and not specific to Path.
sorry, that belongs 2 different topics.
1.I just meant that the settings for mm/min instead of mm/s (or inch) maybe should be more clear that there is a possibility to change this in the main-preference. As I noticed the mm/s the first time my first thought was like: "oh no, it is a big issus for me, how can it be changed?"
2. For L-CNC users it is very comfortable the store some Variables like Feedrates in the beginning of the the G-code, so it parametric when you are at your Cnc machine and not forced to change the feedrates in Freecad or in every line of the g-code with a texteditor. (Of cause its possible many other Variables like scale, offset, max deep, Z-high, etc...are although possible.)
like: " G0 X[18.72461*#<scale>+#<offsetX>]" for example
but, enough of it, it belongs to a Linuxcnc-postprocessor thread...
You can probably get what you want by playing with job templates and customizing the setupsheet.
Ok, i need to check and play with it.
If you want 'on the line' cutting, turn off the 'use-compensation' flag.
ups, i missed it...
+ Probe Operations (...)

Ok, this might be a complex topic for a allready existing or a new thread... again lets focus for bugfix and release in here...
This is very Great. How is the plan to do this? In Heekscad everytime you click in "value-field" a explanation picture aspires. This make it really fast to understand, even without reading the text. Is this although possible? If not, i think its the best do it in one picture with different colors...
Hi sliptonic,
that are points where i can jump in also.
For the pics i don't know what you are talking about... I don't have Heeks (and can't install, - dependencie problems), so i don't have a idea what you ere in mind. Maybe you can give me a example (screenshoot)?

I try to upload some screen-shots.. you can although look here, that are the pictures:
https://github.com/Heeks/heekscnc/tree/master/bitmaps
greetz
chris
Attachments
explaining-picture.png
explaining-picture.png (189.54 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
heekcad-pictures.png
heekcad-pictures.png (374.9 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
flopsy

Post by flopsy »

do you mean this page?
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Workbench
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

flopsy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 pm
do you mean this page?
Yes, and no. That page is the v 0.16 documentation. I assume there is a corresponding sandbox page for 0.17 that will replace it when 0.17 is released. To be honest, I'm still unclear on how the documentation process works around here. :oops:
flopsy

Post by flopsy »

hm Ok, i try to understand...
the structure of the wiki and documentation is not clear for me. It seem to be that there are not just one side:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Compound
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_Project
Do you know where the svg's that already exists (for 0.17) are located?