Operation Suggestion

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

Operation Suggestion

Post by dubstar-04 »

I am trying to clear the face highlighted in green. I cant seem to get it to work without an operation appearing inside the center cylinder or excluding the holes.

Any ideas?
CAM.png
CAM.png (233.83 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12920 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 8faa9f38bb70a598afc2bc39ea1645d416ab057e
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
DizzyBlank.fcstd
(127.26 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Operation Suggestion

Post by chrisb »

Select the green face and create PocketFromFaces instead of a contour.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm Select the green face and create PocketFromFaces instead of a contour.
I will have to update this post tonight. I think the image in post #1 is misleading.

The contour is required for a final profile of the part. What I can't do is isolate the face in green and get an operation to remove material that:

1. Removes the material for the holes
2. Doesn't perform an operation on the internals of the centre cylinder.

Thank you,

Dan

Edited to show screenshot of available operations:

[1]
Pocket.PNG
Pocket.PNG (99.35 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
[2]
Face.PNG
Face.PNG (113.63 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Last edited by dubstar-04 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dubstar-04 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:08 am What I can't do is isolate the face in green and get a operation to remove material that:

1. Removes the material for the holes
2. Doesn't perform an operation on the intervals of the centre cylinder.
I see what you mean. I am afraid this can't be done directly at the moment, the pocket always takes the contour as a border. It has been discussed here before that it would be desirable to mill beyond the outer, or in your case some inner, border. So taking your model as is you would have to drill first and mill later.
What you can do is to create another Job and take a different state of your model as the Job's base.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 am ]I see what you mean. I am afraid this can't be done directly at the moment, the pocket always takes the contour as a border. It has been discussed here before that it would be desirable to mill beyond the outer, or in your case some inner, border. So taking your model as is you would have to drill first and mill later.
What you can do is to create another Job and take a different state of your model as the Job's base.
OK, I was just checking that I hadn't missed something.

Thank you for replying, it means alot that you and NormandC are around to help!!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You're welcome.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

That's an interesting challenge. I don't think it's a new operation but is certainly a needed improvement to an existing one. Perhaps Mill-Face should avoid regions 'higher' then the selected face but ignore holes.

If you don't mind, I'll add the model to my Path-Torture collection for future improvement and testing.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Hi Dan,
That's one is tricky for some reason.

The 3D-Pocket operation will allow you to remove the material above the holes, but is unable to deselect the Cylinder-Center for some reason.

The Regular Pocket Operation will allow you to select the outside, not the Cylinder-Center, but you have to add the Hole-Walls to remove the material above them--and it will be an exact (non-overlapping) removal, at 3mm from the edge of the Hole with a 6mm tool...

Best,
-j
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 pm That's an interesting challenge. I don't think it's a new operation but is certainly a needed improvement to an existing one. Perhaps Mill-Face should avoid regions 'higher' then the selected face but ignore holes.

If you don't mind, I'll add the model to my Path-Torture collection for future improvement and testing.
I modelled this is FreeCAD too if you would prefer that version rather than an imported .step?

Thanks,

Dan
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Please have a look at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p207511
The proper operation is a Pocket-Shape, Mill-Facing is for facing off a stock and Pocket-3D is for something else.