Tool Editor / Tool Table

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [DEV] Tool Editor GUI

Post by chrisb »

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm Anything missing?
I think the counter bore should have a cutting diameter and the number of flutes as well. The letter influences the speed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am
dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm Anything missing?
I think the counter bore should have a cutting diameter and the number of flutes as well. The letter influences the speed.
Yes, I agree.

Thank you.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Dan, I found one more: engravers usually have a tip angle.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:12 pm Dan, I found one more: engravers usually have a tip angle.
Ha ha, yes I guess some must have!!

Thank you.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Hi Dan,
I think you may want to add a column with a FIELD containing a TRUE/FALSE Flag indicating whether the tool allows direct vertical cuts. This would allow future OPs to discriminate between Tools do not allow this--such as Thread mills, Dovetails, Slot-cutters, etc... If you did that, I think you also end up requiring an additional ROW for Non-Center-Cutting-Endmills.

Regards,
Josh
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JoshM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm Hi Dan,
I think you may want to add a column with a FIELD containing a TRUE/FALSE Flag indicating whether the tool allows direct vertical cuts. This would allow future OPs to discriminate between Tools do not allow this--such as Thread mills, Dovetails, Slot-cutters, etc... If you did that, I think you also end up requiring an additional ROW for Non-Center-Cutting-Endmills.
Good point. We had this before somewhere, and it is better to include a ramping angle.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

What about storing speed and feed info for each tool?
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

dubstar-04 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 pm What about storing speed and feed info for each tool?
The challenge there is that the Feeds and Speeds are Tool-Dependent, and Material Dependent. As stands, the Rapids are defined in the JOB->Setup_Spreadsheet, which works well because that is generally only a reflection of what the Machine is capable of, without dependency on Tool or Material. To really achieve what you're getting at would require that the FC3D model--or the Setup_Spreadsheet would reflect the material, and then a Feeds and Speeds calculator would utilize that, in combination with the Tool F&S recommendation to determine Feeds and Speeds for the Operations. The machines Speed capabilities would also enter the algorithm. I have a Taig with 6 pulleys, some people have fixed pully, others have Speeds controllable from their CNC controller using CAM input. I think it gets complex..

Josh
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We had a discussion about that in a topic called Towards a feeds and speeds tool. I have started with a very basic version, but got distracted by other things.