Tool Editor / Tool Table

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

Tool Editor / Tool Table

Post by dubstar-04 »

I would like to start helping out with the Path workbench and I recall that Brad said in one of his videos that the tool representation in FreeCAD would be a good place for someone to contrubute.

I believe that a good starting point for this would be to update the toolEdit ui with a more graphical representation of the tool and then use any extra data to generate a tool in the simulation.

To that end I would like some suggestions on what needs fixing and ideas for improving.

Current To Do List:

1. Allow multiple tool tables and get all current functionality working. PR #2457 [Merged]

2. A complete overhaul of the tool definition.

3. Update of the simulation to utilise the new tool definition and perform lathe simulation.

Bug tracker: https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3336
ISO 13399 Data: https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/ ... eters.aspx

Thanks,

Dan

Edit: Fusion Screenshot removed
Last edited by dubstar-04 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:04 am, edited 15 times in total.
JoshM

Re: [DEV] Tool Editor GUI

Post by JoshM »

Nice Dubstar-04! I'll just add in a screenshot of the GWizard's Tool-Crib for another point of comparison.
Regards,
Josh
Last edited by JoshM on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

JoshM wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:23 pm Nice Dubstar-04! I'll just add in a screenshot of the GWizard's Tool-Crib for another point of comparison.
Regards,
Josh
Thanks for your input!!

This is what i would consider a 'traditional' style ui for this sort of application. I like that its has the dims local to the correcsponding geometry but it looks a bit messy IMO. Certainly something to try.

Thanks,

Dan
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

dubstar-04 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm I would like to start helping out with the Path workbench and I recall that Brad said in one of his videos that the tool representation in FreeCAD would be a good place for someone to contrubute.

I believe that a good starting point for this would be to update the toolEdit ui with a more graphical representation of the tool and then use any extra data to generate a tool in the simulation.
Awesome!

One thing to also look at: I think there's some duplicated effort between the tool library/representation and Shai's simulation. He has to build a representation of the tool for the sim and the rough cylinder I did wasn't suitable. But going forward, these two should come together so please take a look at this.

If you get to looking at the tool library as a whole, I have some thoughts.

Thanks for tackling this one!
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I don't think it's a good idea to post screenshots and guides from other CAD projects. Nor do I think it's a good strategy to copy another CAD program's approach to a certain problem.

Please have a look at this thread and ask yourself if you really want to make the acquaintance of some corporate IP lawyers:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p196836
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

mlampert wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm Nor do I think it's a good strategy to copy another CAD program's
Not really wanting to copy as such more get a feel for the direction.
mlampert wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm Please have a look at this thread and ask yourself if you really want to make the acquaintance of some corporate IP lawyers:
I have removed the screenshot.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

mlampert wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm I don't think it's a good idea to post screenshots and guides from other CAD projects. Nor do I think it's a good strategy to copy another CAD program's approach to a certain problem.
+1

The current FC tool dialog has all of the functioning parameters for Path and then some. A simple static sketch for each type of tool would be convenient for identifying those parameters in cases where it might not be obvious.

GWizard is not a CAM tool; it is a milling strategy tool. Therefore items like stickout, shank diameter, and overall length are important for calculating how hard the tool can be pushed. However, unless and until FC adds a milling strategy tool for speeds and feeds those items have no value.

Fusion 360 is catering to the paying commercial crowd where automatic identification of tool purchasing needs might be important. I doubt that many FC users expect to use the Path workbench to drive their tool purchases.

Not trying to close the patent office, but this activity seems fairly low priority. On the other hand making those unused parameters work would be a great addition to FC.

Still, with FC being FOSS, have at it! :P

Gene
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

To make sure I understand how the Pull Request procedures work I have added flycutter to the tool list.

PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1213

Any issues with what I have done please let me know.

toolUI-Flycutter.png
toolUI-Flycutter.png (90.06 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:34 pm
The current FC tool dialog has all of the functioning parameters for Path and then some. A simple static sketch for each type of tool would be convenient for identifying those parameters in cases where it might not be obvious.
A simple drawing of the tools would work. Another option would be to draw a representation of the tools in code:

ToolGeom.png
ToolGeom.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
Attachments
Draw.py
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

FreeCAD dosn't respect all tool parameters NOW, - but in the ( closer) future? ;)

A little picture or sketch which discribes which name stands for which detail wood be helpfull. Especially if you have users with not so much "milling experience" in mind...
If a parameter has no effect in that moment, the input field can be inactiv (maybe with a hint "not activ "), but the field should be there.
Last edited by herbk on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gruß Herbert