Mouseover Hints

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
JoshM

Mouseover Hints

Postby JoshM » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:10 am

I noticed that the Mouse-over hints need a bit of polish. I noticed this at work on next version as well--it's not new though.

The current state of the Pocket Shape Operation:
--The Pocket Shape Operation dialogue Depths tab-> Start Depth, Final Depth, and Step Down mouse-over hints indicate the SetupSheet Equation, or if overwritten with a number, that literal number. By contrast, the Finish Depth reads "Depth of the final cut of the operation. Can be used to produce a cleaner finish".
--There are a couple of issues.
1. The Finish and Final Depth hints are reversed. Finish Depth is the amount of material left for the pass performed at the Final Depth. The Final Depth is what is captured in the 3D Model.
2. The hint "Depth of the final cut of...." is the right idea for a HINT. It speaks to what that field is a control input. The literal value in the field is already available, so it brings nothing to the table. The SetupSheet field is actually a good thing to INCLUDE in the HINT, as someone has recently mentioned, once you overwrite that, it's hard to get back to, so having in the Hint is helpful. But, it might be good to be even more explicit and for the Final Depth field, write "Depth of the final cut of the operation. Defines the material depth left for the final pass of the Operation, in order to control the finish. Default's to the OpFinalDepth field from the Job SetupSheet."
3. By same reasoning, the Start Depth should shift to something like "Depth the operation uses as the top of the material for the beginning of the Operation. The Tool shifts from Rapid movements to Controlled movements a fraction of a mm above this depth . Default's to the OpStartDepth field from the Job SetupSheet.".
4. And, the Step Down should shift to something like "Defines the maximum milling depth for each pass of the Operation. Default's to the OpToolDiameter field from the Job SetupSheet.".
5. The Height Hints show math inputs again.

The current state of the Pocket 3D Operation is identical to the above Pocket Shape Operation, with the addition that the Hint on the Final Depth reads "Final Depth cannot be modified for the operation. If it is necessary to manually set the Final Depth, please choose a different Operation.". Again, good information to INCLUDE in the Hint, but it should primarily speak to the APPLICATION. Hints are for USERS, so 1st order info for a Hint about what the function of the input is on the Operation. More advanced info is lower ranked, or left on the wiki, no?

The current state of the Contour Operations Hints all simply show the SetupSheet inputs.

The current state of the Profile Edges Operations Hints all simply show the SetupSheet inputs.

The current state of the Profile Faces Operation Hints all simply show the SetupSheet inputs.

The current state of the Drilling Operation Hints all simply show the SetupSheet inputs.

The current state of the Helix Operation Hints all simply show the SetupSheet inputs.

The current state of the Engraving Operation Hints all simply show the SetupSheet inputs.

Thanks,
Josh

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13005 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 29533320fc514029f3ce1af6bbf53cc03fb93049
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb

Re: Mouseover Hints

Postby chrisb » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 am

You are right, the mouse over events needs some polishing, but please keep in mind that this is also known as "short help", so I would keep them as short as possible. I am thinking of a person who has seen the image with all the depths and heights and needs a reminder only. That being said, I think the text for Finish Depth is perfect. It is an immediate reminder of what it is good for. Here is my proposal, and especially mentioning the default is open for discussion. It is initially set and if you change it it is changed. Perhaps a global reset button for each subpanel is a better idea (v. 0.18).

StartDepth: "Upper surface of stock. Default: OpStartDepth"
StepDown: "Depth of a single pass. Default: OpToolDiameter"
FinishDepth: "Depth of the final cut of the operation. Can be produced to create a cleaner finish. Default: 0"
Final Depth: "Bottom of the operation. Default: OpFinalDepth"

For me the help text "Final Depth cannot be modified for the operation. If it is necessary to manually set the Final Depth, please choose a different Operation." was already very helpful. It explains why this field cannot be changed, and that it won't be of any use to fiddle with other parameters hoping to get the insensitive mode changed. Even removing it completely would not be better, because I would have missed it, thinking that the programmers had made a mistake.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JoshM

Re: Mouseover Hints

Postby JoshM » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am

chrisb wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 am
You are right, the mouse over events needs some polishing, but please keep in mind that this is also known as "short help", so I would keep them as short as possible. I am thinking of a person who has seen the image with all the depths and heights and needs a reminder only. That being said, I think the text for Finish Depth is perfect. It is an immediate reminder of what it is good for. Here is my proposal, and especially mentioning the default is open for discussion. It is initially set and if you change it it is changed. Perhaps a global reset button for each subpanel is a better idea (v. 0.18).

StartDepth: "Upper surface of stock. Default: OpStartDepth"
StepDown: "Depth of a single pass. Default: OpToolDiameter"
FinishDepth: "Depth of the final cut of the operation. Can be produced to create a cleaner finish. Default: 0"
Final Depth: "Bottom of the operation. Default: OpFinalDepth"

For me the help text "Final Depth cannot be modified for the operation. If it is necessary to manually set the Final Depth, please choose a different Operation." was already very helpful. It explains why this field cannot be changed, and that it won't be of any use to fiddle with other parameters hoping to get the insensitive mode changed. Even removing it completely would not be better, because I would have missed it, thinking that the programmers had made a mistake.
Yes, like you wrote is perfect to my thinking—better than my pass at it :D ...
-Josh