CNC Lathe and 4th-axis milling...

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Wsk8

Re: CNC Lathe and 4th-axis milling...

Post by Wsk8 »

Russ4262 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:57 pm So, should I revert the 4th-axis code back to the original (for that pocket orientation), which will then display 180 degrees off on the model, but would then likely be correct on actual CNC machines and exterior renderers?
Yes, revert it. Otherwise there will be 2 errors in FC.

If the new script is corrected such that the FC rendering is off (but correct in real world), I am certain we will see some justified kickback, comments, and bug report.
This will be a good reminder, that there is an error in FC ;)

mfg
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Wsk8 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 pmYes, revert it. Otherwise there will be 2 errors in FC.
Done.
I will have to double check, but I think I pushed the corrected version to my GH repo. I ran a test and the FC render was 180 degrees off for the pocket we have been discussing. However, in Camotics and Ncviewer, it appears oriented correctly.

Thanks,
Russell
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hello Gents,

Some head-scratching for me, maybe for you too.

I have tested the your model Russ, it's fun and super promising. And then I figured I might test a dummy version of something with over hanged and reversed faces.

The results are quite interesting.

1. A lateral hole drilling does not seem to apply the tool path inside the hole for some reason. It's clearly the correct depth or orientation, but not the right position.

2. Interestingly, I feel like a "minus" somewhere in the code would solve all angle positioning issues :)

3. The depths in the OP seem to not affect the outcome (final depth) and the finishing depth breaks the algorithm.

I give you my file for your personal fun.

One issue that I cannot seem to repeat is that upon asking for the lateral hole negative it machined the blind side of the hole instead of the hole side of the hole. But I suspect my statement #2 is the underlying reason...

This is fun! A lot of fun! Thanks
Attachments
EdgeChannels.FCStd
(184.56 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
MultiChannel.png
MultiChannel.png (62.06 KiB) Viewed 1019 times