Good morning, 4th-axis enthusiasts!
Great news for you all. I think I have the depth calculations correctly set - for trial runs anyhow. My tests seem to have very good results. Currently, I have the standard Path Pocket(Pocket Shape) Op in the PathWB converted to 4th-axis integration with independent X and Y axis access.
- I have not tried any pockets that would combine X and Y (5th-axis).
- I also have only tested on solids with pockets, not wire frames, outlines, or other random models.
- I have only tested on pockets with bottoms perpendicular to cutter axis, not slanted bottoms such as the 3D Pocket might handle.
- I still need to clean up the code for the purpose of integration into other PathWB operations, like the standard surfacing op.
- I will send this code to my GitHub repo after I at least tidy up the code a bit. (remove excess feedback print statements, etc...)
- I have not attempted pockets in all six faces of a cube, only what you see in the image below (3 faces tested)
- I have not tested all the available pocket patterns available within the PathPocket(Pocket Shape) Op, to ensure none are negatively effected by modifications made.
- Through holes as cylinders are available also, as were in the original.
- Currently, two(2) files in the PathScripts directory have been modified for this 4th-axis feature: PathAreaOp and PathPocketShape
- The FinalDepth input in the task window and properties list is not active now. Depths are calculated automatically based upon bottom of the pocket.
- Axial rotation is currently fixed in the code. I will need to add a property/user-input for this.
**NOTE: I used the pre_18.16085 release version as the basis for my modifications. There have been a few PR commits since. I will have to merge these into the new 4th-axis modified version. UPDATE
: I merged with latest PR commits affecting the related script files. We should
be good. I pushed the code to my GitHub repo, https://github.com/Russ4262/FreeCAD/tre ... c/Mod/Path
- Go to your FreeCAD root directory
- Go to \Mod\Path\PathScripts directory
- Rename the two files mentioned above(PathAreaOp and PathPocketShape).
- Copy and paste the modified versions from the GH repo into same location.
- Restart FreeCAD and have fun with the 4th-axis ready PathPocket((Pocket Shape) Op.
- No new properties or inputs have been added; so, you do not need to delete and recreate existing PathPocket(Pocket Shape) ops in your jobs.
After installing the modified scripts:
- Create your path job as normal.
- Select a face(s) for a path pocket. Multiple faces may be selected at once, like the original version.
- Run the operation.
- Depths are automatically calculated based upon bottom of the pocket. We may need to add a DepthOffset input to refrain from pocketing to depth.
- There may be bugs for some pocket attempts... Please let me know.
- Pockets requiring both X and Y rotations are not available that I am aware of. So, faces need to be parallel to axis of rotation.
Fun, fun, fun...
Please make a list of "Have you considered..." for improving the implementation.
Update: I am attaching the two modified scripts to this message for simplicity, rather than needing to go to GH.
Update - 2019 May 15
Moving scripts to newer specific topics: 3D Surface: 4th-axis Integration and more...
and to Path Pocket Shape: 4th-axis Integration
. Script downloads are available there. Related discussions suggested to continue there as well.