Different workflows to change properties

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
herbk

Different workflows to change properties

Postby herbk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:11 am

Hi,
working on the Wiki pages shows some behavior of the Path WB, which seams to be not very userfriendly in my mind...

Currently I stumbled over this:
If i want to change the properties of path commands i have some different workflows to have in mind:
On time (at the properties for stepdown e.g.) i have to klick a button, for setting the feedrate in the "job GUI box" i have to doubleclick in the field and other fields, also in job GUI, i have just to enter and change the parameters.

Same behavior shows the DataBox... Sometimes three (or more, i didn't count) ways to enter a datefield for changing parameters.
Gruß Herbert
JoshM

Re: Different workflows to change properties

Postby JoshM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:19 pm

herbk wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:11 am
Hi,
working on the Wiki pages shows some behavior of the Path WB, which seams to be not very userfriendly in my mind...

Currently I stumbled over this:
If i want to change the properties of path commands i have some different workflows to have in mind:
On time (at the properties for stepdown e.g.) i have to klick a button, for setting the feedrate in the "job GUI box" i have to doubleclick in the field and other fields, also in job GUI, i have just to enter and change the parameters.

Same behavior shows the DataBox... Sometimes three (or more, i didn't count) ways to enter a datefield for changing parameters.
Hi Herb,
If I follow, you're suggesting that there's potential confusion by having redundant ways to implement the same function--Tool Manager, Job Object Tool tab, Property View Data, etc... as example I think you were driving at.

If that's it--and I've wondered about it too, because that's been a consideration for me in software development at work. But, it seems the nature of FreeCAD--don't the Pop-Up windows simply provide a user friendly way to control fields that exist in the Property View Data? Then, for most commands, there's Python console, GUI button, Path Menu, Hot-Keys, that I'm aware of, maybe more...

Sorry if I've missed what you were questioning.

Best,
Josh
herbk

Re: Different workflows to change properties

Postby herbk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Josh,

there is no question, it should be only a little, like you say, "heads up" to the developers... ;)
Gruß Herbert